The mkiv Supra Owners Club

93 Jap spec 450bhp TT Discs and Pads

Guest mick02wrx

Guest mick02wrx

I know there are loads of threads on brake kits etc but i have searched endlessly and not found a thread devoted to upgraidng Jap spec discs and pads but keeping the 2F/1R pot calippers.

Im about to buy this car and the only mod that is desperate is to upgrade the standard jap brakes. I was wondering if as a first less expensive step I can upgrade the disks to drilled and groved and replace the pads with intermediate sport pads?

The car is for road/show use only and will not be used daily.

Any experiences and recommendations would be appreciated.

Regards

Mick

will the OEM uk discs and pads fit the Jap callipers? So far ive not seen any jap spec discs for sale anywhere?

Thanks

No you have to match the caliper to the disc and vice versa. jap spec brakes can be made to work just fine, many have seized or semi seized slider pins and sticking caliper pins. My fast road pads on none knackered discs, in healthy calipers are a useful upgrade, but i can also supply a race pad that works fine from cold, and will survive hard track days if you use a race brake fluid. downside is a LOT of dust and a real potential to squeal loudly when cool. The fast road ones are no more dusty than stock, and they are quiet. I can supply OE spec Jap spec discs if you need them. Drilled or grooved discs tear up pads, and can make the discs prone to cracking, but the real downside is many are done on cheap Taiwanese or Chinese castings made from old bicycles. Plain discs are fine, modern pad compounds don't gas out and need grooves or holes. Fast road pads for J-Spec brakes are on special offer at £130 plus VAT (£156) a full car set (fromnt and rear) with free insured delivery to a UK post code. Race pads are to order and a LOT LOT dearer.

Guest mick02wrx

Great. Thanks for the info. The callippers i believe are currently working fine so once i get it, it sounds like fast road pads to begin with until the callipers give out or i feel a need for better brakes in which case ill upgrade to the UK brake callipers and discs.

Thanks again... just need the owner to have it ready now and hand over the cash :)