The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Smoke on start up from Exhaust and under the bonnet

mattdavies

I don't use my car daily but at least a couple of times a week. When I start it there is a substantial amount of blue smoke out the exhaust and out of the bonnet, although sometime there is not a lot of smoke and non from out of the bonnet.

I sometimes park the car on an incline put don't think there is a correlation between smoke and angle I park the car on. I know that the blue smoke out the exhaust is valve stem seals and I am planning on doing it at some point. Where is the smoke from under the bonnet coming from ? I have tried to figure it out but the best I can work out is the back of the hotside of the engine, any ideas ?

It's classic worn valve stem seals apart from the bonnet smoke, but as above this must be due to a exhaust gas leak up front.

You can probably see the soot on some joint somewhere if you get close enough.

If you started it daily you probably wouldn't see much/any smoke, and it can sometimes depend on the position the engine stops in, as to what valves are shut or open (as not all valves will be as worn as others).

Trace that leak as suggested above first, then the valve stem seals can be tackled now or at a later date.