The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dilemma! Help me to decide.

ironman9

Hi guys. I am new here!

I know this is a Supra forum but i would like to get some opinions from you all based on your experiences.

There is a Nissan Skyline R34 GTT with a full Nismo Z Tune Body kit (so it looks like a GTR) but still have the RB25DET engine and a Toyota Supra Mk4 2jzgte (originally an automatic transmission but swapped to a 5 speed).

Which do you guys think is a better buy? My priority is not into making huge amount of HP, but I am more into the looks of the car, driving the car with nice handling, a car that will make me smile non stop.

I personally am in LOVE with the R34 GTR looks, and obvs this GTT is winning my heart just based on the looks. But I can't get over the fact that it looks like a GTR but its not a GTR. I do love the Supra looks too especially the ones with the Ridox kit and wide body Supra.

Appreciate your time and feedback all!

My priority is not into making huge amount of HP, but I am more into the looks of the car

I personally am in LOVE with the R34 GTR looks, and obvs this GTT is winning my heart just based on the looks.

I think you've answered your own question. Some people will look down on the GTT, but they don't get to see it in the garage / on their drive every morning.

I have an NA supra. Like you, the looks are what did it for me. To the casual eye, the NA supra looks pretty similar to the TT. I don't drive fast, I just love the look of a stock supra, much like you like the look of a GTR.

If the 5 speed supra is a W58 it might not last too long.

The GTT looks like a GTR which is a bonus for you and is 'just' rwd I take it? so should be playful and less complicated. I think the nissans can be more rusty (suspension turrets etc so check this thoroughly). Sounds like you prefer the 'gtr' look tbh from your post?

The supra interior in my opinion is a lot beter to be in than the R34. The supra i feel will have a better sound, the 5speed though will be the limiting factor, if it is the W58 box. the GTR you could go and engine swap it with a RB engine but I've no idea what the boxes are like on a R34.

I love the R34 but for me to buy one it would have to be a R34 with everything the R34 GTR has if it was not a factory R34.

Sounds like youve already picked the R34 so best bet is to drive both? see how they feel and compare to one another.

but supra for me all the way, probably be better to have the auto as it maybe cheaper and longer lasting although the W58 box has been on cars running 400-500+ hp but I feel its the weak link of the car.

Factor in the quality of the body kit on the Nissan, some are the commencement of serious rust issues, or are blended in with bog making a minor accident a major and expensive drama. some are NLA and a further potential for grief. Some just look dreadful... As for the Supra, it's another mongrel, a TT with an N/A gearbox grunting and sweating through every spirited drive. Toyota Supra is undoubtedly better built than the Skylines, and generally speaking survives the ravages of time better, rust and reliability of major and minor assemblies wise.

We need more details and prices to give a more focused opinion.

haha do i really sound im leaning towards the GTT? opps my bad. I shouldn't have really emphasize on the GTT too much.

I am not too sure what 5 speed is the supra running, but I am thinking of swapping it to the stock 6 speed Supra transmission if i get it. However, the GTT is really really well taken care of, unfortunately the seller doesn't allow test drive (typical in my country). I'll only have to wait till this coming Saturday to be able to see the Supra in person. i have attached some pics of the Supra. I'd say i need some work to make it look nice. I cant seem to upload the GTT photos but its way way way cleaner than this.

I am actually leaning towards the Supra tbh. I can't get over the fact if I own the GTT and it looks like a GTR but doesnt have a GTR engine (i could do this but i prefer the 2jz engine).

IMG-20171011-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20171011-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20171011-WA0005.jpg

Given the nature of the dry season climate in Brunei I would be concerned if the engine had many hours on it over there with that so called "air filter" fitted. Expect excessive valve, valve guide and piston ring / bore wear due to inhalation of dust if that's the case. A stock air box and stock panel filter would be my very first change!! If it smokes on first cold start after sitting overnight I would be expecting to do engine work.

Given the nature of the dry season climate in Brunei I would be concerned if the engine had many hours on it over there with that so called "air filter" fitted. Expect excessive valve, valve guide and piston ring / bore wear due to inhalation of dust if that's the case. A stock air box and stock panel filter would be my very first change!! If it smokes on first cold start after sitting overnight I would be expecting to do engine work.

okay i will have a look into that when i view the car. But is that not an air filter fitted ?

- - - Updated - - -

So not only an auto to none OE manual the car was an N/A to start with?

no, the car wasn't a NA to start with. It is the TT version but auto.

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't have ABS either in case that's important to you.

how do i check if the car has ABS or not?

Indeed (chassis plate will confirm 100%) which raises the question of the diff ratio and extra mount being present or not.

is there a site where i can get the chassis no. with a registry online? I know i could do that with the GTT but not sure of the Supra.

is there a site where i can get the chassis no. with a registry online? I know i could do that with the GTT but not sure of the Supra.

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm

This link is all you need, as Chris has said I suspect the car to be an NA converted (the abs pump is in the back right of the engine bay but isn't in the engine bay pic you posted up)

On the vin is a model number is it ends in F then it was an NA from the factory.

(AJPVF

ALFSF

ALMSF

ALMVF

or

ALPVF)

If you get the VIN plate number I think the on line parts thing will give the OE spec. As far as I am aware Toyota never built a TT MKIV without ABS, so it has either been removed or, as i suspect, the car was originally an N/A.

how do you check if the car has ABS or not? or the ABS has been removed?

I just checked with my friend who is the friend of the owner of the supra, it is originally a TT, but it was an auto TT. which is then swapped to a 5 speed manual, (WHICH I ASSUME IS the 1jz manual transmission, but im not 100% sure. will have to reconfirm that again). About the ABS, my friend said that it should have but i will have a look in person soon.

Hi guys. So i went to view the Silver supra this afternoon. and my goodness I was so damn disappointed. The car has not start for 4 months! (maybe more) we tried to jump start the car but it still couldnt start. the owner said could be the fuel pump. The condition of the car is so bad, the interior is so dirty and it has a stale smell. The owner says that the Supra is his "dream" car, but i was thinking, if it is your dream car, why aren't you taking good care of it. I'm nt going to bother about that car, there could be so many problems that he isn't telling me and he is asking for soooo much for that condition. I also want to add, this silver supra, was originally a NA Supra. The owner swapped to a 2jz engine and a 5 speed manual transmission from the 1jz.

Fast forward to later in the afternoon, i asked my friend to find me another Supra, and low and behold, there is another Supra! This is a 1994 Supra J Spec. however, this owner isn't going to let go unless his price is met. This one is in orange colour, 2jz twin turbo and Automatic transmission. Everything of the engine bay is stock except for the 4" Whifbitz front mount intercooler and HKS ssqv bov. other than that, some small parts have been changed, but no ecu upgrade. Still running on J spec hp. How is the Automatic transmission? If i do get it, i am planning to swap it to the 6 speed manual.

WhatsApp Image 2017-10-15 at 22.30.59 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-10-15 at 22.31.00 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-10-15 at 22.31.00.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-10-15 at 22.30.59.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2017-10-15 at 22.30.59 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-10-15 at 22.30.56.jpg