The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Electronic Shifter and Flappy Paddles on the TT Autobox

Burna

Just thought I'd share with you what I've been working on for the last 10 months on and off.

It all started when I wanted to add flappy paddle gear control to my TT auto, and I discovered there currently wasn't an easy way, only option was to fit a syvecs and pay for the mapping etc... which works out at over £3500! :blink:

So being a design & development engineer, I went about solving the problem myself. I wanted a more modern looking electronic shifter to replace the large 90's shifter in the cabin. I also wanted to make sure it was plug and play, without having to alter anything on the car, as I wanted to be able to return the car to stock whenever I wanted to in the future. The electronic shifter can be removed and the car returned to stock in 1-2 hrs :) The shifter casing is from a Range Rover Sport, as I liked the compact rotary design, but everything inside is my own design and electronics, from all the LED's to the computer that runs the custom software. Basically I bin the Land Rover PCB and start from scratch, so you can imagine the work and hours that go into building and wiring of one of these, plus all the programming time and learning curve it took :blink:

Onto the flappy paddle side, and I settled on a Lexus IS250 steering wheel (I'll post pictures later) as I wanted to keep my cruise control as well as add flappy paddles. Flappy paddle function works in both 'D' and 'S'. In 'D' I have control over all 4 gears, and in 'S' I have control over the 3 gears, with faster gear changes. the speed at which the paddles move the autobox gear selector lever between 3rd and 2nd gear is roughly 0.35 seconds, and the same to go from 2nd to first. So you can see it's pretty quick, probably quicker than your hand can move the stock shifter in the cabin. Which means the shifting of the gearbox is not delayed by the electronic shifter, which was one of my goals with this project.

The good thing in my mind about this shifter is that it doesn't overide the stock auto ECU, so all of Toyotas development and safeguards are in place to control the autobox, so it drives just like stock :)

I've only just fitted this Saturday, but already the driving experience with the paddles is amazing and great fun!

Massive thanks to Littlenum at Performance@Hart and TrickTT for all the help fitting it Saturday, and also Tim at TBDevelopments for help in fabricating the autobox bracket and laying out whether it would actually fit! lol Also thanks to my old friend Pete, for helping me battle through the programming side, and helping me when I got really stuck. You can tell I have a very good group of friends, and I couldn't of completed this project without them, so thank you very much :)

I still have to 3D print a surround to fill in the gaps with the stock dash panel, but once that is done it will give it an OEM look.

I will be doing a lot more testing of the coming months, and I need to also do a video, but eventually I hope to offer this to the Supra community worldwide.

Please, if you have any questions then fire away, and if you'd like a demo I will be at Suprapod in less than 2 weeks time, and I'll gladly take you for a little spin to demonstrate its operations :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=222843&d=1507557806

attachment.php?attachmentid=222844&d=1507557806

IMG_0410.JPG

IMG_0412.JPG

Edited by Burna (see edit history)

Damn Burna!

That is awesome! Certainly helps bring the auto up to date.

Huge well done to you and everyone involved.

Definitely interested in seeing more vids.

Question is this for the tiptronic only or will this work on the standard auto?

/QUOTE]

This is for the TT autobox, prefacelift, not tiptronic, so it's a world first :)

But I'm sure I could come up with one for the tiptronic, I'd just need to take a closer look at the stock tiptronic shifter mechanism, if someone wants to donate one?

I'll also be offering a push button version in the future.

This is for the TT autobox, prefacelift, not tiptronic, so it's a world first :)

But I'm sure I could come up with one for the tiptronic, I'd just need to take a closer look at the stock tiptronic shifter mechanism, if someone wants to donate one?

I'll also be offering a push button version in the future.

Very cool that this is for the non tiptronic auto.

excuse the random questions, just really curious about it

Guessing that an n/a autobox could be used after modification to the hybrid box? (intention to go gte later on) If that would even be possible for the n/a

Outstanding work mate, I have always liked the idea of “flappy paddle” on my auto but as it’s pre-facelift I thought it couldn’t be done.

Will keep an eye on this, look forward to the updates and videos :thumbs:

Well that's why I designed it, as it couldn't be done before, and i wanted flappy paddles! And so now I've got them! lol

- - - Updated - - -

Very cool that this is for the non tiptronic auto.

excuse the random questions, just really curious about it

Guessing that an n/a autobox could be used after modification to the hybrid box? (intention to go gte later on) If that would even be possible for the n/a

/QUOTE]

Yes it could be used on the N/A autobox too :)

Want!!

How do you switch from using paddles ('manual mode') to letting it behave full auto?

In 'D' it will drive full auto. In 'S' it is the Supra 'manual mode', so 3 gears to use with faster gear changes :)

You can also use the paddles in 'D' and to go back to full auto mode you just use the 'UP' paddle until it goes back to 'Overdrive On' :)

- - - Updated - - -

What is this madness and when can I buy it...the update look alone is worth it

It will be available soon, after further testing :)

You wouldn't believe the amount of whatsapp messages Burna has sent on this over the last year!!!! That said amazing work and glad it all paid off. Attention to details has been brilliant mate, well done.

/QUOTE]

You loved all my updates mate!! lol Thanks mate :)

Love it. What would it be like with high horsepower car or a car with a hybridized box?

Love it.

Awesome development.

If I was auto I would be offering the misses up just to get one.

Awesome work.

It will work exactly the same, no problems.

Is this for the electronic controlled A340E (like in the +98 Toyota Soarer) or for the one with the line pressure cable?

It should work on both boxes. in the simplest of terms the electronic shifter kit is just replicating your hand movement on the gear stick.