The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bilstein B6 shock install to J-spec

machman

Ladies and Gents

I'm in the middle of fitting new bilstein shocks, the fronts went on easy enough but the rears were a little harder, I noticed they are about 15-20mm longer than the shocks I've taken off.

I guess there's one of two reasons for this:-

1) the shocks I've taken off are none standard and a little short. They're black and look standard but are gas rather than oil, so I'm guessing not standard!

2) the bilstein are out of spec and too long.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Are you saying when back on the springs they were longer? or just longer than the old ones when separated and lying next to each other?

Were they harder to put back on the springs or harder to fit to the car?

Yes when assembled on the spring they are longer which made it harder to fit them back on to the car, the old shocks came out quite easy!

Just trying to picture this in my head, but I'm thinking it must mean the lower spring seat must be higher up on the bilsteins than the old ones? ie as a unit at pretty much nil compression the springs 'height' will be the same regardless of shock?

I could compare the measurement of yours to mine (I have some on and off the car I could measure) if you like?

Just trying to picture this in my head, but I'm thinking it must mean the lower spring seat must be higher up on the bilsteins than the old ones? ie as a unit at pretty much nil compression the springs 'height' will be the same regardless of shock?

I could compare the measurement of yours to mine (I have some on and off the car I could measure) if you like?

Don't worry just yet, I will post some pics later, I'm certain the rear shocks I removed are not standard ;)

Don't worry just yet, I will post some pics later, I'm certain the rear shocks I removed are not standard ;)

/QUOTE]I'm sure now the shocks I removed from the rear are none stock and the rods are 25mm shorter than standard (see pics).

I have often looked at the ride height and thought 'it's low on the back!'

The rods on the old shocks are 210mm.

Thanks for everyone's help, it's much appreciated :)

Spring seat height on the Bilsteins is different in relation to the Tokico. They are designed to allow more suspension droop whilst maintaining spring restraint at that full extension. One of the reasons they give great traction, especially on bumpy roads.

Rear B6 Sport part number should be 24-017930

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

Really!, I'm confused, why are the bilsteins 25mm longer, i ordered the correct part numbers according to their website,have they made a mistake?

/QUOTE]Can't see a difference in this pic, I didn't measure that dimension, the only difference I could see was the rod length which has resulted in a higher ride height.imageimageimage

Ride height is solely governed by lower bolt C/L to lower spring seat distance. Rod length difference has minor effect on spring pre-load with soft road car springs, and how much droop is available at full extension.
Ok put it this way, the overall length of the old spring\shock assembly is about 25mm shorter than the bilstein\spring assembly, hence it was a struggle to install them whereas the old assemblies came out easily and now the rear is higher to the point I've had to readjust the headlights.

I guess what I'm looking for is the correct dimension for the standard setup if anyone knows it?