The mkiv Supra Owners Club

opinions please, blow off valve change, maybe/not sure

supraGZaerotop

hi all, my car came with a hks ssqv, been on the car years. theres nothing wrong with it other than the fit has always bugged me a bit. find the hks fit is very close to the intake pipe and actually presses up against the link pipes. I just spent a few quid changing all these parts and so it thought I wanted something that fits in that space better while not rubbing up against other parts in my engine bay causing cosmetic damage over time. ive sort of made my own kit using a baileys dump valve and a pipe I bought and cut to size. the fit is pretty nice, I think I like it :cool: although I do like my hks, its hks right :D anyhow ive plumbed this lot in and it looks ok to me, ive not driven the car yet as I wanted some opinions on the bailey bov first. its this dump valve ok for the supra do you think, also I'm not sure if that filter thing that fits on the hks vac line kit is anything needed but ive not fitted it!!. here some pics. the last one is of my original config

20171005_210858.jpg

20171005_210911.jpg

20171005_210948.jpg

20171005_210815.jpg

20170919_154903.jpg

Edited by supraGZaerotop (see edit history)

do you think so? interesting. il have to take it out for a drive when i get back home. does it make any difference not having the vac filter, i assume thats what it is that comes with the hks bov. like an inline flying saucer lol- whats it for? because the way this bailey fits there is only need of a very short length if hose

Edited by supraGZaerotop (see edit history)

remove it completely gives the chattering sound, It's cool, gets annoying quickly i think and still some debate whether compressor stall causes issues over time?
Mine is removed and blanked but i still get a whoosh sound??

I only get chatter if I come off the throttle slowly on low boost

bk in 2004-2008 i owned a s14a 200sx. loved that car. had it up to about 300hp front mount, fuel pump, fcd, colder plugs, boost controller, intake, complete double decat. tubular manifold, new turbo, was a flying machine

i use to have a sard r2d2 bov fitted, and sometimes id disconnect it to get the flutter and i loved the noise way more than than the bov noise. soon as i started reading about compressor stall i stopped with the flutter

soon as i started reading about compressor stall i stopped with the flutter

Recirculation valves are fitted by manufacturers to stop the noise of compressor stall. I've never seen any evidence to backup the claims of increased longevity of a turbo nor have I seen a turbo killed because the engine wasn't running a BOV.

Chris Wilson doesn't run a BOV on his race Skyline which pretty much says it all for me.

Every International Group C sports car to 1991 no BOV

Every F1 car from 1979 to 1988 no BOV

Every Indy car from 1970 to 2006 (maybe beyond) no BOV

DJR Group A Sierra till its last races no BOV

Nissan say they only run one to reduce noise. The CA18DET has no BOV.

If you have a look at the engines that have had them fitted, you will notice that they got fitted at the factory after the new/tighter noise and pollution restrictions came out.

But if you like the sound get one :)

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Spelling. (see edit history)