The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone running dual intakes or a 4 inch on a bpu car?

moonstone

Like the title says. Love the look of both. Did you see any benefits over a normal 3 inch pod filter or drop in filter? I think either of those with a proper heat shield would definitely add some hp.

Here are some pics:

TBdev.

2jzmotorsports

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Agreed with both of you, thats why I wrote about a proper heat shield. I think it can pull a lot of extra air compared to a panel filter or the 3 inch pod filter. But I’m wondering if anyone on the forum tried it and has some data to share

Agreed with both of you, thats why I wrote about a proper heat shield. I think it can pull a lot of extra air compared to a panel filter or the 3 inch pod filter. But I’m wondering if anyone on the forum tried it and has some data to share

What do you mean by a proper heat shield? Why do you think a heat shield would help? You're still going to draw in hot air to the air filters. Unless they are enclosed in a box with a cold air feed? I'm struggling to understand what you are trying to get at?

Well you have two options:

1) sealed air box like you are suggesting

2) heat shield till the bonnet, so no hot air will be drawn to the filters. Similar to the max air box, which is a proven formula for years.

With both you can use the oem snorkel to provide cold air.

Sorry I can’t make it more specific. English is not my first language [emoji6]

A pair of el cheapo vac gauges or home made manometers will tell you immediately if the intakes are restrictive. Altering the intake lengths to the 2 turbos is probably NOT a good idea. I very much doubt any post seventies engine has a restrictive intake, makers were chasing MPG and restrictions in the intake kill them.

I'm running single but have just collected by new air intake custom pipe, courtesy of TB Developments, and I'll be running a filter out of engine bay by headlight slightly under car (see pic 3 hole) which will be enclosed in a custom airbox. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171004/219a2437fa597bbd6180ec84634c350f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171004/4481f657f4420cfab478d2213f2a1594.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171004/5126d842844dadbd44c741b241076e38.jpg

/QUOTE]

Sexy bit of work there by Tim! :thumbs:

The more outside/cold air you can get into the intake the better, the colder the air the denser it is, which equals more fuel, however the size of the intake was designed to accommodate more than the maximum amount of air required by the engine in its normal configuration, so i doubt that adding two intakes will make a difference.

I've made a custom "airbox" for my A80. It guards for all of the hot air from the engine, and also meets with the danish law regarding open air filters (open filters are not allowed on the street...).

This way i keep the open air filter sound and i love the looks of the green HKS mushroom filter.

Still kind of prototype, have thought of making it in a better way with other materials.

Made of aluminium.

20170821_140057.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

I've made a custom "airbox" for my A80. It guards for all of the hot air from the engine, and also meets with the danish law regarding open air filters (open filters are not allowed on the street...).

This way i keep the open air filter sound and i love the looks of the green HKS mushroom filter.

Still kind of prototype, have thought of making it in a better way with other materials.

Made of aluminium.

Looks good mate although mushroom filters are AWFUL for cooling. Much better with stock panel or a proper cone like K&N.