The mkiv Supra Owners Club

High stall torque converter questions

Milo500

Hi guys,

So I have recently just got back from santa pod, and realised (quote a while ago) that my times are held back considerably due to my stock auto box and converter.

The car is a single converted from twin at 484 at the crank (but tbf that was at really high inlet temps after being on the dyno for 3 hours straight).

I managed to do a 13.09 at 117, however due to not being able to launch it well due to not being able to hold it on boost at the line, the time is massively held back.

So I was thinking I had 3 options...a rev limiter (bee r type of thing...but not a bee r), a bit of spray to just get off the line, or a high stall torque converter.

After messaging with Chris bailey for a bit he said that high stalls work well, but drive badly on the street, which for me is a bit annoying as I drive the car on the road quite alot.

I'm looking for people that have experienced a high stall to give me some advice as I have never in been in a supra with anything me than a stock converter/box. (Mine does have two very big oil coolers, apart from that everything about the box is stock.

I was looking at a precision 3600/3800 (numbers might be off, apologies haha).

Do you need to do anything for cursing on motorways etc after fitting one? As surely cruising below 3800rpm is the equivalent of slipping the clutch?

Also when it comes to something like Mt et street tyres, what sizes fit unDee the stock rear arches? Am happy to go for 15" or 16" rim diameter...

Cheers guys :)

Hi Mate,

I'm the chap that was speaking to you at pod! I saw your 13.0 run! Sounded awesome!! I've always run hi stalls on my supras. The same day you were running, I ran a 12.2 on a stock TT auto jspec. It'll make a hell of a difference to your times at pod.

I know you'll get mix opinions on here, but on a daily, it takes some getting used to. But by far, the best mod for an auto in my opinion. I'll let everyone else come and shoot me down now :D

PS. was nice chatting to you dude.

Saq

Hi mate,

Was good talking man, just need opinioms and places I can buy the converter from, as I'm not exactly minted haha, some people on here have wayyyy more money to throw at their cars than I do.

The other thing is where to buy the et streets and what size will fit under the stok rear arches.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi bud,

It's worth noting that SaqTRD's car is a BPU auto so he has the benefit of the 1st turbo to help get off the line, where as you're single turbo you won't have that boost punch of the first turbo to help aid acceleration. Don't get me wrong the hi stall helps acceleration a lot on the single turbo as I said, but it can be a pain to use on the street if you are not used to it. A 50bhp shot of NOS may help with acceleration but it's a lot of hassle to fit if you won't be using it often. Maybe see if you can pick up a second hand hi stall or try a passenger ride so you get the gist of it. In regards to MT street radials, you ideally want a 15/16" rim that can be used with the stock j-spec rear calipers. The stock 16" supra rims work well as I mentioned to you :).

Hi mate,

Yea I'm well aware his is a twin, after realising he battered my time haha.

I know what you mean by the nos idea, as a 50 shot won't take me up to what the equivalent power I would be at 3800 ish off the line. And I'm not sure how much I would want to run as I don't want to fry the motor. The other thing is I like the idea of it being mechanical, and not having to refill bottles of spray (if that makes any sense) ... why I would prefer a turbod car over a straight nitrous car.

I don't mind it being tricky to drive on the street, as long as it doesn't drastically affect mpg, and increase the box tempreture loads...as the last thing I want to do is be driving down the motorway at like 3k with a 3800 stall and overheat the box, correct me if I'm wrong that it would be slipping under 3800?

I should have asked for saq take me for a little drive in the car park at pod haha, as I know no one with a high stall, everyone round here with a supra is either na or stock twins.

With regards to the et streets...I know they are legal, however are they quite thin? Is it still worth running normal tyres on the road and is there any obvious differences between running them compared to street tyes.

Also is it easier/cheaper to get tyres for the 15" or 16", or does it not make a difference? As I have found some 15" weld racing in 114.3 for a supra.

Also where can I look to look at buying this stuff haha?

Cheers

Edited by Milo500 (see edit history)

Tbh your best bet is to ask this question on supraforums.com. There are loads of guys running a high stall converter.

The Induction Performance 4k stall is pretty popular at the moment and seems to be driving pretty well in daily conditions. Personally I would be looking at a 3500 stall.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk