The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacement for a supra

dangerous brain

What the hell do you buy when you want to replace a BPU aero top supra with something a little more practical. I still want leather, I still want climate control, but now I want at least a hatch back if not an estate. I still want lightning acceleration or as close as dammit. I dont want to go older than my 95 motor and I dont want to go huge miles.

Cars that fit the bill include ideally the audi rs4 (way way too much cash for me to afford). The Volvo V70 R awd (a nadge on the slow side and a sodding volvo FFS), And not really a hell of a lot else.

Any suggestions peeps?

Oh BTW My aero TT BPU will be for sale in the summer if I find the elusive replacement.

OK cheers fella's.

From the top then Saab Yup thats just getting there but its a little down on power on the Volvo V70 and the V70 Is 4WD.

Volvo S60 beauty of a motor but its a saloon and I would in all realism look at the supra in a tuxedo the fabulous Lexus gs300 if I was going to go down the saloon car route.

The golf I can't get immediatte figures up for that but even the latest R32 is only 6.6 to 60 as a hatchback so the 20v isn't going to be any where near quick enough.

Vauxhall Monaro is too new and hence out of my price range.

Nissan interior need I say any more about that car lol. Mitsubishi too slow.

Methinks I am asking for the holy grail here. So far the damn volvo is all that pushes evenly on most buttons.

The passenger seat looks to be pushed all the way back, which isn't really necessary unless you're about 7ft tall! So there is a bit more room there, albeit not much more as you say.

However, I can sit reasonably comfortably in the back of my wagon (6' 3", 17 stones), although I probably wouldn't want to do a longish journey sitting back there.

Modding? Virtually impossible to resist. :D The big benefit of the later Subaru's is that you can remap the existing ECU to run on Super unleaded/Optimax and make the most of the bits the car has.

In any event, if I was purchasing that car the first thing I'd would do is either remove the full decat or have the car remapped properly for it. Classic STi's can and do blow up when decatted and the map isn't altered to suit - especially if it's only been run on Optimax as the ad suggests. STi's are more highly strung than the WRX and do need to be run on Optimax and octane booster, preferably NF.

'tis a cracking car, though.

DB stop selling your cars......... :p

Well I kept the last one for over 3 years. Its just I need to sort out my drive space. I now have three estates a boat and a supra. Its starting to take the p*ss a bit. I need a car that will tow the boat and a trailer, fit a significant amount of tools in the back of, and still be quick. At the moment I am keeping the diesel estate for economy reasons, the omega estates for towing reasons (one omega is only for spares for the other), and the supra for out and out fun reasons.

Thing is the supra never gets used any more. I hate driving it right now because I feel that I have to wash it every time I get in it (black car and salt looks crap). I only drove it to work yesterday to stop the battery going flat on me. OK I have to admit I got to work in 45 minutes instead of just over an hour. Unfortunatley the big smile was rapidly replaced with a scowl when I got out of the car and saw the state of it.

£14k is a lot of money to be sat around doing nothing on my drive. Also I seem incapable of not spending further money on it. I am certain that I wouldn't have the same affinity or care as much about a volvo or something of that ilk.

I cant believe no one else has suggested it, But "a SKYLINE" More room in the back, reasonable boot space, can be made to go as quick as you want. Now I know what your thinking, they not a sports car and all that - (lol) but they ain't that bad :D

edit: You could fit a tow bar, roof rack no problem at all.....

I think the fact of the matter is that nothing will be able to replace the Supra, you'll just have to decide which aspects your willing to compromise on. I can't think of anything at all that can provide the performance, looks and ease of ownership that the Supra can. That's why, even 12 year old ones can still command 5 figure prices !!

Not much help was it that.

Volvo seems like the most likely candidate, however, I've heard they can be a B1tch to work on, (mechanically).

:D