Toyota to launch new Sports car sub brand

Marcus GTE

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and I bet it's based on the BMW N55 engine.

After googling that engine, apparently the S55 is the performance version of the N55, with 425hp.

Sounds promising. Let's see where it goes.

Toyota always seem to have an identity crisis when it comes to making anything other than an eco box or 4x4.

The supra was sold only in Lexus dealerships in the U.K., and the LFA (spiritual mkv supra) was released under the Lexus brand.

Seems they are nervous about the last supra suffering from the perceived problem of people not wanting to pay £40k for a car with a Toyota badge.

Not sure Honda or Nissan have had that problem??

There are roumours (prob covered to death on here) that there will be a 3.5 V6 turbocharged 400+hours engine jointly developed by BMW & Toyota as well though so we will just have to wait and see.

Point of the thread was really that they seem to be gearing up to make an announcement with the creation of a sub brand.

The whole BMW thing upsets me! I have never driven a BMW that I've liked, keep it all toyota! lol

I read it's because to design a chassis the cost is crazy especially when it's a one off model in the range take Mercedes the c63amg chassis is used on loads of model variants right across the c class range right down to a c220d. I think BMW and Toyota will make a very good combo as BMW know to make a good handling car, I hope they still intend to give the new supra a kers system and make it more powerful than the bmw equivalent.

I read it's because to design a chassis the cost is crazy especially when it's a one off model in the range take Mercedes the c63amg chassis is used on loads of model variants right across the c class range right down to a c220d. I think BMW and Toyota will make a very good combo as BMW know to make a good handling car, I hope they still intend to give the new supra a kers system and make it more powerful than the bmw equivalent.

I've read that there will be a hybrid version planned to be released halfway through the life cycle.

It needs to compete with the GTR, the spot they seem to be aiming at here should be where the next MR2 sits.

Why?

The Supra has NEVER been sold to compete with any Nissan Skyline or GTR. The Supra has always been Toyota's alternative to the Fairlady/ 300zx / 350z.

So long as it isnt GTR priced, beating a GTR is the least if my hopes for the new car.

Hang on.

Isn't for sports brand effectively Toyota releasing a Type R / Nismo/M/S brand. It's nothing to do with the supra.

I wouldnt be so sure, quite often these sub brands go hand in hand with a Halo model, something Toyota currently lacks (discounting Lexus cars).

We know the prototypes have been testing, and it appears that this has become more intensive and frequent in recent months. I would have guessed next year, but this seems like a perfect opportunity.

Besides, Gaz's smiley face clearly means something, and he would have a better idea than most. :)

I wouldnt be so sure, quite often these sub brands go hand in hand with a Halo model, something Toyota currently lacks (discounting Lexus cars).

We know the prototypes have been testing, and it appears that this has become more intensive and frequent in recent months. I would have guessed next year, but this seems like a perfect opportunity.

Besides, Gaz's smiley face clearly means something, and he would have a better idea than most. :)

There is no doubt a new supra is coming but I thought the sub brand stuff was all related to faster Yaris' and other Toyota cars already made but going to be made faster (and more expensive)

Because the mk4 was a super car killer and that's what the gtr is for this generation. A 350z isn't iconic.

Exactly, the 350Z was one of the most disappointing cars ever produced to follow one of the greatest cars ever produced, the Z32 300ZX.

But you can't really blame Nissan, they had been acquired by Renault during that time, and shock horror they started producing terrible cars.