The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Turbos: Rebuild advice?

k222bye

Hi all.

My TT autos twin turbos are leaking oil like no mans business and the play in the axle is ridiculous. I have been quoted £1600 for a rebuild including labor.

I'm pretty handy with a spanner so im looking at taking the turbos out myself and sending them off to get refurbed. Had a quote from CR turbos to rebuild the ceramics for £600 which is fair. I' not going hybrid or single turbo anytime soon.

Are there any other shops that are recommended in the Berkshire area or Lancashire area? And as i am going to replace all the gaskets etc can I buy those as a kit from toyota? Exhaust gaskets etc.

Thank you in advance.

May as well upload a cheeky picture. Spent 6 hours detailing her. [COOL][/COOL]

PicsArt_08-31-09.51.00.jpg

Hi all.

My TT autos twin turbos are leaking oil like no mans business and the play in the axle is ridiculous. I have been quoted £1600 for a rebuild including labor.

I'm pretty handy with a spanner so im looking at taking the turbos out myself and sending them off to get refurbed. Had a quote from CR turbos to rebuild the ceramics for £600 which is fair. I' not going hybrid or single turbo anytime soon.

Are there any other shops that are recommended in the Berkshire area or Lancashire area? And as i am going to replace all the gaskets etc can I buy those as a kit from toyota? Exhaust gaskets etc.

Thank you in advance.

May as well upload a cheeky picture. Spent 6 hours detailing her. [COOL][/COOL]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]222346[/ATTACH]

Whifbitz does hybrids for about £1060.00 inc vat I think, that's who I'm going to get to do mine..

Waste of time and money you would be better getting a good second hand set for £200, I had cr turbo stage 3 hybrids lasted a year they did see 1.6 bar of boost once though and swiftly pooped them selves.

The best "bet" would be the ceramic rebuild like for like with no messing around if you had to rebuild but even then alot of the turbine housings are cracked at the wastegate , all 3 sets I had , had a crack there

Still waiting on someone in the UK to provide some real world info on rebuilds from Munro racing. They look like the best rebuild I've seen so far. Didn't even realise a ceramic rebuild was an option.

There are two sets with forum members already I believe, not sure if anything has been done with them yet. I have emailed Glen a few times now and he sounds the best option out there for those wanting bigger numbers whilst staying sequential.

Im already full BPU, twin turbo Auto jap spec. In an ideal world id love hybrids. Im looking at 420bhp as i am now. But honestly right now i don't want to risk paying for hybrids and them popping. Would like a like for like rebuild on the ceramics. Im going to pull the turbos and see what the damage on the housing is.

Going forward my options are:

1) buy a second hand twin turbo set and fit them myself. Probably cheapest option.

2) rebuild turbos, stock build no hybrid. From whomever everyone recommends.

3) ride a bike.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you ever plan on going single?

I was but not immediately. Eventually i will do. But not right now.

From my personal experience hybrids/rebuilt aren't worth it, a good second hand set is a much safer bet... or go single.

Im going to keep my eye out for some second hand ones. I know mine are CT20s but does it make a difference if they are CT20 A, B, C or Ds? Not really sure of the differences.

You say you don't want hybrids mate but the rebuild your talking about in post 1 will be a hybrid as the stock internals don't exists as a replacement. Any rebuild will not be done with stock ceramic stuff. Iirc they are always done with steel internals.

I looked into the hybrid route and it's so hit and miss, and Lee p talked me out of it.

If your in need of replacing them just buy a secondhand set of a known vvti engine so they are as new as possible the only additional change you will need is a vvti first decat.

I'm not up with turbo's 100% but most 'blow' ie the ceramics shatter/have gone from a high boost incident. 'If' as it sound the seals are shot and it's leaking major oil but still making good boost, then presumably the turbines in his case are intact? Hence is there a chance they can be retained as they are and the sealing repaired?

You say you don't want hybrids mate but the rebuild your talking about in post 1 will be a hybrid as the stock internals don't exists as a replacement. Any rebuild will not be done with stock ceramic stuff. Iirc they are always done with steel internals.

I looked into the hybrid route and it's so hit and miss, and Lee p talked me out of it.

If your in need of replacing them just buy a secondhand set of a known vvti engine so they are as new as possible the only additional change you will need is a vvti first decat.

/QUOTE]

The car is already decatted. I think my best option is looking like getting some used twins now ;/.. i really don't want them blowing on me lol.

Glanza_Mike might have his Vvti turbos available still mate from his single swap. I'll message him.

/QUOTE]

Cheers mate.

Waste of money rebuilding them, the shafts wont like the steel blades, best off getting a second pair, or go single.

MY pockets are restricting me from going single.. but i should start saving. If a single turbo snuffs it at least i could get another relatively easily. These CT20as are hard to come by.

I'm not up with turbo's 100% but most 'blow' ie the ceramics shatter/have gone from a high boost incident. 'If' as it sound the seals are shot and it's leaking major oil but still making good boost, then presumably the turbines in his case are intact? Hence is there a chance they can be retained as they are and the sealing repaired?

Good shout mate. The only way I know its spitting oil is through a borescope camera into the intakes. the actual turbines themselves are intact but the axle has play in it and wobbles. Only way I guess.. to sort it is to pull them out. then I can assess exactly what needs doing. These ceramics are known for cracking near the wastegate too apparently.

/QUOTE]

Yep this is what I did, swap them out for a 57,000km set. Heard so many horror stories with rebuilt/hybrid turbos.

FYI you won't need to buy a different 1st decat, you can just change the pre-cat down pipe over from your pre-vvti set of turbos.

Jake's referring to the flange angle difference to the first decat between pre-vvti and vvti turbos mate.

ahhh thank you mate. how did you change your de cat down pipe? I assume you had it machined and bolted on? I'm going to scour the web now for some second hand CT20A's. Will import them If I have to. Most that I find now are form Aristos. Do you know what type turbo you had? CT20B,C? etc? I don't know if I have to get an exact match with the letter i.e. CT20- X?

I just got quoted £450+VAT to rebuild the two Supra turbos. Only tried one place as a look see so maybe if you shop around you could get it cheaper than you were quoted.

If anyone is after the part numbers for new they are for the CT20 and CT20A turbos 17201-46030 (front) and 17208-46030 (rear). There is a guy selling both unused in the US for $2,400 at the moment. or you can buy one from Burrows Toyota off eBay for £2,700 ;)

Edited by rider (see edit history)