The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Power steering noises

charlton

My power steering has suddenly started making a grinding noise, I've had it before on another car (but worse) when a hose split and drained the fluid.

So I checked the fluid and the levels appear fine although the fluid is a dark colour. Could it be that the fluid is old and needs flushing or is it more likely my pump is knackered?

I've had a look at this page on here and read the guide to flush the system which I'll try this weekend

I used a 4 pint milk bottle at the top of the res and used masking tape to seal up.

On the skinny hose from the pump put that into a large water bottle and blank off where it would go on the res, use a big bolt and a piece of hose, worked for me.

Fill the milk bottle up, you should be able to see it though the bonnet gap if your in the car.

Start the engine but be ready to turn it off as it will stuck though like a mo fo. Once you see all the fluid from the milk bottle gone turn the engine off.

Use the bottle cap from the water bottle to seal it so you do not spill connect the skinny pipe back to the res, top up if needed.

Bingo all done, just go for a drive and steer lock to lock.

Just dexron iii from euro car parts, its cheap and thats all you need :)

As above a potentially cleaner way I mean to try is as follows.

Get a small syringe and tube, suck out old fluid from the reservoir. This allows you to then remove the return line with minimal/no spillage and also you can eyeball the gauze which can get clogged.

Get a long hose to attached to the return pipe on the reservoir and then hang it up high say from the bonnet hook. As per above have the return pipe flow into a container.

As per Malcolm I've previously done it with a bottle and starting the car (you can remove an EFI fuse to reduce the flow rate), however I want to try the following.

If you remove the aux belt, then with one finger you should be able to spin the pumps pulley and the other hand pour the new fluid in.

You can then lower the hung up pipe and drain the fluid from this into your container until the reservoir is again lower than the return, refit the return and top up to the cold level.

It just seems a less messy (lower potential for mess) way I personally want to try.

• 1 month later...

So I eventually got round to following the guide I linked earlier and all went well, but not the result I wanted.

A few things to note that isn't mentioned in the guides;

- the smaller pipe will most likely need stretching/loosening to slip on to the return pipe easier. I done this by squeezing in two screwdrivers and rotating them in opposite directions

- make the hole in the bottle top big, I was niave and thought about 8mm was enough which wasn't enough to let the fluid flow through fast enough

- make sure you have paper towel to clear spillage as you will inevitably spill some when pulling the pipes off

So now the fluid is flushed and at a sensible level, it is still grinding and making noises. Because I didn't make the hole big enough it did not get enough fluid through and caused the steering to go very hard. I've topped up a lot more fluid and now it's easy to move the wheel but it grinds. It also grinds when not moving the wheel. Is this the pump screwed and need replacing or do I need to leave this running longer to get air through the system or should I add more fluid until it's over the limit and drain after? In total I've left it running about 5 mins to hopefully clear it, and it is no longer bubbling

Video of the noise...

I thought as much, unfortunately I've not got the tools, patience or setup to start getting more involved and swapping out the pump - unless you do home visits? :D

Shropshire to Surrey home visits :). Get a bed ready for him, that'd be an overnighter.

There is a possibility that the filter (a sort of Brillo pad affair) in the reservoir is clogged, it’s fairly common , to clean it you need to remove the reservoir and fill it with a solvent and make like a cocktail bar barman .

They don’t clean with new fluid alone , easy enough to do and may prevent Chris from a second trip south and the associated liver fatigue.