The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra price/value trends, still on the up?

Pabs

Hey folks,

Long time since I posted in here last, but I do miss my old Supra and I've been thinking that there is a possibility I could get back into one soon.

And then I looked at the prices....

So I'm interested to know your thoughts - are the values still on the rise or are they plateauing/peaking now? If I can convince the wife that I'm not likely to lose a lot of money in a supra (it'll be a second car and a bit of a project) then that will help bolster my argument to get another. Is it only the manual TTs that are sought after? I'd be happy with another TT aero auto I think.

Currently I have an Octavia vrs as my daily and a mk1 mx5 for a bit of fun. I'd essentially get a cheaper daily to replace the vrs and put money plus mx5 in for the supra.

So, can anyone link me to other recent threads on this subject of value (if there are any) or comment to help steer my decision?

:) cheers all :)

All supra are becoming saught after. More so the TT varients. TT6 speed will probably hold its value better but of course it's more expensive.

The prices seem to be increasing still. And the 93 models next year will be up for export to the USA so it may increase prices again. Prices in JAPAN are going up so prices just following suit.

Good luck finding another supra :) all the best.

Thanks lol! Need a bit more to go on than that though... I think my absolute max budget would be around 13k so definitely limited to autos. But are they appreciating like the manuals?

I would say so, I bought my TT auto (100% stock) for £8500 last year, and its worth quite a bit more than that now. If American prices are anything to go by then I don't see them plateauing just yet..

Pabs did you have the black aero with gold wheels? If so that was stunning. You shouldnt have sold it

Yeah that's the one, spent a few bob tidying it up but had to keep a roof over my head and I had no choice, it had to be sold. That was back in 2008 I think, and sold it for about 9.5k. Saw the same car sell recently for about 16k :(

But 10 years later and here I am..

From what I've seen prices have stalled since the Spring but thats not a Supra thing the entire second hand car market has fallen so stalling is still a positive trend against the overall market trend. I recon prices will double over the next 7 years so if its an investment you are after it should be future proof, so long as nothing major goes wrong mechanically.

The market is also likely to diverge between stockish and the highly modified cars with stock cars being the holy grail for both the purist and the modder seeking a fresh canvas. If its maximised return on investment you are after then you need to go for the rarer, more desirale, versions which is either a stock aero or TT6.

I think rx7 s are still incredibly under priced for their performance, looks and how rare they are. I m amazed they arent 18k min yet.

I m still amazed supra s are worth so much. I personally cant see them climbing much more but who knows?

Exactly the reason I'm looking at RX7s to be honest, a lot cheaper.

I think rx7 s are still incredibly under priced for their performance, looks and how rare they are. I m amazed they arent 18k min yet.

Production figures for the series 3 RX7 were much higher than for the MkIV Supra. Its also not as big a movie star as the Supra. Its also not as indestructable as a Supra. But you still get RX7's listed at £25k.

Production figures for the series 3 RX7 were much higher than for the MkIV Supra. Its also not as big a movie star as the Supra. Its also not as indestructable as a Supra. But you still get RX7's listed at £25k.

True but I bet far more rx7s are scrapped etc due to engine rebuilds etc. and not being economical to fix etc. Give it another 10 years and they ll be worth a lot I reckon. Hence I got one last year.

Welcome back. In your shoes I would find a nice tt auto and you will be good.

Throwing another spanner in the works, if your relying on the US market opportunity to help bump the price up then you don't want to be buying an aero, the other side of the pond it's the hard tops that are the desirable ones.

Also colour choice is different too, 199 silver in good condition over there commands good money and is considered a good thing where as alot of people over here see it as a negative.

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

I think only the USA market influence will see another hike, and depends on their rhd tolerance.

You can see from their autotrader the current asking prices, so in 2018/9 we'll start seeing for real what rhd imports start selling for.

Pabs you are an example, you had one before, know what they are like et, but your head is questioning value vs other things, if people like you don't end up buying then there is chance of price stagnation. If we have a major economic event all cars 911's 205 GTi's etc that are in a bit of a bubble could drop.

I still say get one but it's very thin pickings, low turnover, maybe one or two newly advertised auto tt's a week.

I wondered after you messaged me the other day, how long it would take for you to appear? ;) :)

Here's a TT auto in your price range ;)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282638238099

lol thanks! I see Jurgen has a nice black auto TT at a reasonable price in today's money, but I'm not in the market until spring next year I think.

I have at least 2 cars to sell before then - but need to commit to getting to a Supra (or similar I suppose) as I'd need to sell mine now and sort the missus car out before the funds are available for the "toy" :p