The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Vibration/Shudder

Guest lexiryan0

Guest lexiryan0

Hey guys,

My Supra has a little problem I just can't work out, everyone keeps telling me different things!!

So heres the background...it has a vibration/shudder in the engine and in the interior, through the dash and steering wheel, when I accelerate especially on cold start its the worst. Sometimes it is bad when warm as well. Shudder remains on idle as well.

It is a very aggressive shudder or vibration, very noticeable.

its a 93 MK4 model, the engine was an Auto GTE, swapped to a GE but with a manual gear box. It has an auto ecu, stock steering wheel.

I have been told that it could be engine mounts by a few mechanics.. but does anyone else have any ideas? Similar experiences and ways to fix it?

Much appreciated!!

Engine mounts don't tend to give "very aggressive shudder" but worth checking as these terms are subjective.

The engine mounts rubbers can give way/compress so it's more metal on metal which gives the vibrations. If you locate the mounts you can 'gently' take some weight off them by jacking up on the sump (use a spreading block of wood just don't go lifting up the car! The stock boot scissor jack is good for this as you can be very gradual in the lift) You should see a gap open back up, all mounts will sink over time and use, if you have some rubber (bike tyre inner tube etc), very high density foam you could ram some in the gap before dropping the engine back down and then just see if the tone/harshness/aggressiveness is altered. Or get your wood and jack in position run the car at idle and gradually lift and listen for change? (a helper would be best for this)

Didi you do the conversion? do you know what clutch/flywheel it has?