The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Active spoiler: Bling it or sling it?

Scoboblio

Active front spoiler  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Active front spoiler

• Leave it down and paint it
    • Bin it!

Right, I've done a search on this and really can't make my mind up.

I'm fitting a FMIC soon so will need to do something with the active spoiler. My options are;

1: Keep it down all the time and colour code it (not sure about ground clearance though for speed bumps etc) :blink:

2: Bin it all together.

Any opinions / experiences would be more than welcome :)

All that extra weight has to take at least 3 seconds off your 0-60, I say bin it :devil:

This is another reason I'm undecided... it's a heavy bugger isn't it? But as Bobbeh says it also helps with high speed stability :conf:

Oh dear, this is getting even harder.....

It helps with the front end stability of your car at speed. So depends if you like that sort of thing or

Sorry Bobbeh it may appear I'm questioning everything you're saying at the moment - it's not personal, honest! :)

Do you think it really helps with high speed stability? I know Toyota fit it for that very reason, but it's not standard on all models so that suggests it's not such a bit deal. Also with people fitting non-standard bumpers that suggests that it doesn't really matter what's at the front - the car still appears stable.

Is the high-speed stability talk just that - talk?

Sorry Bobbeh it may appear I'm questioning everything you're saying at the moment - it's not personal, honest! :)

Do you think it really helps with high speed stability? I know Toyota fit it for that very reason, but it's not standard on all models so that suggests it's not such a bit deal. Also with people fitting non-standard bumpers that suggests that it doesn't really matter what's at the front - the car still appears stable.

No I agree it does make a diffrence at high speed. I noticed when mine was out of action. It just didn't seem to be as stable.

So why is not standard on all models then? That's the bit I don't understand :confused:

If it's that important then why didn't they make it standard fit?

I would say cost ...Some supes also came with smaller brakes, heated seat ect ect...Just coz it works better don't mean it will be standard. All cost options...well on Jsecs anyway :)

When I fitted my HKS Type S FMIC I decided to secure it permanently down because I like the look of it. The high speed stability of the supra is astonishing and I wouldn't want to do anything to reduce that. Also, you will be surprised at just how light the spoiler itself is, the motor is the heavy bit and you'll remove that anyway.

As far is clearance is concerned I've never had it touch anything, even the biggest speed bumps do not catch it. Mind you I will soon be going from stock uk suspension to KYB AGX with JDM springs ( the ones that go with Bilsteins) so maybe things will change.

If you do keep it I would leave it unpainted, then you won't be gutted if it does catch now and again.

Hope this helps. :tongue:

It was on the better models.

But it's not as if we're talking huge differences in performance. It's only essentially a trim difference after all.

Just seems a bit odd that if this thing adds so much to high end stability then Toyota would have made it standard fit for all the models, if only from a potential accident/courtcase point of view.

Sorry for Hi-jacking..........Not to throw a spanner in the works at all :D but surely an after market bumper from Bomex, Blitz etc or any other high performance racing companies I imagine would manufacture there bumpers with aerodynamics in mind.......so ditching the active front spoiler should'nt make a tremendous difference if you are running with one of these front ends should it :p

correct me if im wrong ;)

It comes do to cost again. The Supra isn't dangerous without one, it's just better with one.

A bit like the brakes, it would be safer if the standrad brakes were 356mm cross drilled with 6 pots, but they aren't. They do the job.

The stability issue would never stand up in court as the speed you would need to be going for it to have a proper effect would be more than the allowable speed limit anyway.

I also think that the extra downforce the spoiler cretaes does help make the car feel more solid. Not that it feels unsafe without mind, just a little less 'planted'. :tumble: