The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Diff cooler

shaz2010

I have a little problem I've noticed a build up of gunk around the diff cover and I started removing it. Took the diff cooler cover off and the bracket that holds the alloy pipes just crumbled pipes look shot and rubbers could do with replacing! Cooler it self looks fooked as well, I've been reading just to loop it out and bypass it? Any one done this? Can it effect the diff? Found the part numbers etc from a old post. One more thing the cooler it self is it just bolted on via the 4 bolts as behind there looks rusty. Cheers lads

I have a little problem I've noticed a build up of gunk around the diff cover and I started removing it. Took the diff cooler cover off and the bracket that holds the alloy pipes just crumbled pipes look shot and rubbers could do with replacing! Cooler it self looks fooked as well, I've been reading just to loop it out and bypass it? Any one done this? Can it effect the diff? Found the part numbers etc from a old post. One more thing the cooler it self is it just bolted on via the 4 bolts as behind there looks rusty. Cheers lads

You might also have to take the light out for the diff temp ? I'm not sure where the sensor is for this though, it might be affected.

You might also have to take the light out for the diff temp ? I'm not sure where the sensor is for this though, it might be affected.

I just removed the cooler and linked the out feed to the in feed, didn't have any diff temp issues even on track days

Should of know you would of came across it at some point dunk :D next time I'll just pm you haha ;) I'm gonna give MRT a call to see how much to replace if to much £££ will just blank it.

:)

Think they're quite expensive for such a small cooler, personally i wouldn't bother and just connect the hoses together, don't blank them

Got this off a post when Chris Wilson was looking for the same thing. [ATTACH=CONFIG]221829[/ATTACH]

Is it the same as yours mate ?

I think so, I won't be able to see until later today.

- - - Updated - - -

I've just found the thread i started when my diff cooler started leaking which was

2002 :blink:

The cooler then was £129.89 + vat from Toyota

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?2583-Diff-(oil-Cooler)

I paid way more than that in 2011 when I got mine be interesting to see how much they are now.

Everything from the pipes to hoses cooler and the cooler vented cover all discontinued! Bummer... looks like I'll have to blank out unless there is an alternative.

You can easily have the pipes made up and is your cover broken or missing ?

You can easily have the pipes made up and is your cover broken or missing ?

No the cover is fine was just going to replace with everything else, the thing is is there any point in replacing the pipes as the cooler and/or the pump might have not been working in the first place?

Shaz I had Pirtek make me up stainless lines as my UK diff was recirculated. I used a Mocal core and mounted it using brackets in the original location. Wish I had taken pics, I'll have a look.

Cheers mate no drama. I've not had a chance to look at alternatives yet.

No the cover is fine was just going to replace with everything else, the thing is is there any point in replacing the pipes as the cooler and/or the pump might have not been working in the first place?

I meant if you were going to replace the cooler itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on the diff cooler I ended up taking the plastic cover off where the pipes bend under the car! And they were rotten and the cooler it's self just fell off the bracket that holds it in place, so just binned the lot. And like you's said I just used some new hose and looped it hard pipe to hard pipe. No leaks and all good. Lost a bit of oil which I need to put back in here's a picture of the state of the pipes. P.s if I were you and you haven't checked these I would just invade it's the same as mine and you don't know your losing diff oil. It may be expensive if you don't.

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

Edited by shaz2010 (see edit history)

Just an update on the diff cooler I ended up taking the plastic cover off where the pipes bend under the car! And they were rotten and the cooler it's self just fell off the bracket that holds it in place, so just binned the lot. And like you's said I just used some new hose and looped it hard pipe to hard pipe. No leaks and all good. Lost a bit of oil which I need to put back in here's a picture of the state of the pipes. P.s if I were you and you haven't checked these I would just invade it's the same as mine and you don't know your losing diff oil. It may be expensive if you don't.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]222074[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]222075[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]222076[/ATTACH]

Thankfully mine was in great shape just a bit of surface corrosion, I replaced mine due to a leak in the cooler itself.