The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra History Lesson from Toyota

SPG

Hey People,

So I have been trying my best to reach out for some info from Toyota on the MKV Sup, they have come back with the below statement:

"Hi, Sunny. We have no information on a new Supra at this time. Please keep an eye on our blog and social media channels for future announcements. We do appreciate your enthusiasm for one of our most loved vehicles, you might be interested in reading the history of Supra here":

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/history-of-the-toyota-supra

Now I expected no information to be released but the blog and history of the Sup was pretty decent, worth a share all the same.

I'm thinking the Supra, when created will be part of the Gazoo Racing range, but no mention of this at any point, so perhaps the test mule is not the MKV. It's anyone's guess right now.

I like the GR Yaris and hopefully this will spell more performance orientated Toyota's.

Edited by SPG (see edit history)

I might be wrong but as I recall the MkIV caught people by surprise at the 93 Chicago motor show, partly as it was delayed as Toyota redesigned it after seeing the Nissan 300zx apparently.

Japanese manufacturers tend to be a bit clumsy launching things but, as has been stated, this year's Tokyo show is probably where we might get to see it

"The highly-anticipated fourth-generation Supra was finally unveiled at the 1993 Chicago Motor Show after a four years in development under the guidance of chief engineer Isao Tsuzuki, who had also worked on the first Celica and both generations of MR2.

Unlike anything Toyota had produced before, the Mk4’s proportions and flowing design owed more to the 2000GT of the Sixties than its predecessor"

surely the soarer would have been the design prototype , it was done in 1987 and shared the chassis ,suspension , engine layout , driveline and wiring , launched in 91 , hardly "unlike anything toyota had produced before "

There is no MK5 supra.

It's even logical as there's no concept car, no concept art, no mention of a supra nothing.

The z4 replacement prototype/s have been spotted separately, and look significantly different.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/bmw/bmw-z5-spyshots-first-look-at-the-next-z4-and-toyotas-new-coupes-too/

The 'Supra' prototype clearly has a Toyota steering wheel in some of the more recent pictures.

The z4 replacement prototype/s have been spotted separately, and look significantly different.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/bmw/bmw-z5-spyshots-first-look-at-the-next-z4-and-toyotas-new-coupes-too/

The 'Supra' prototype clearly has a Toyota steering wheel in some of the more recent pictures.

My starlet had a Toyota steering wheel in it ;)

So you're saying it is a Toyota, just not a Supra replacement (370z equivalent).

Even if it doesn't wear a Supra badge, it will be the nearest thing to a new Supra we get (if it goes on sale)

I'm 100% sure that this is not the new supra.

And with regards to the engine size and gearbox, this seriously can't be the new supra.