The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New member says Hi :)

Doublefacy

Hi there,

My name is Edgars and finally I feel like it's time to chase my dream car.

So far I have owned golf mk4 tdi mapped to ~220 bhp. So going supra route would be big step up and probably its better not to go with highly modified one in regards of performance.

Currently I'm thinking of having Twin turbo, vvti engine, tiptronic. My budget would be around 13k. I guess not enough for manual so tiptronic seems to be good compromise.

I've never really driven autobox , so I wanted to ask if you guys could share experience having tiptronic. I read somewhere that it is not that convenient to use those buttons on steering wheel for shifting. What are your thought and is it something worth having it?

I got few other questions , but I guess this is not the right section for asking them. Is "Supra chat" where I ask some general question about supras?

Thank you and see you around :)

Thank you for welcoming :)

well I sort of wanted my supra to be a bit punchy at low RPMS and as I understand vvti does just that. Obviously I got not experience driving either one of them , so may be someone can advise on what is the difference, is it really noticeable?

I mean considering vvti does give you little bit more low end torque, I was wondering why I haven't seen any vvti engine convertion to single turbo. I read somewhere that vvti is lot harder to map in. Is that the reason. Cause considering single turbos always have a little bit of lag, then vvti should help to overcome it.

Well I don't have that much swag to blag a passenger ride, besides I'm new here and people don't know me , and I don't think anyone's doing favors these days :)

Pretty sure they would at Suprapod, introduce yourself on the thread and go from there, if i still had my car i'd take you out for a

spin in it no problem

id happily take people out in mine, but its a manual so not what your looking for. vvti are face lift models and people go with a vvti head for improved spool on singles.

non vvti are non face-lift models with out the trip tonic and I wouldn't rule autos out they are awesome. I was looking for one before I got mine.

Welcome to the club too :)

Edited by Hitbox Junkie (see edit history)

Appreciate your kindness :)

It's not that I don't want manual :) it's just that my budget doesn't stretch that much to afford one as it looks like good turboed manual comes for 16k and above.

I was thinking of tiptronic only cause it's somewhere between manual and automatic, but from what I hear automatic shifting is more responsive than tiptronic one.

Just wondering is it whole box slower or it it just tiptronic mode. I meant if I use tiptronic box in auto mode, is it the same as any other regular (non-facelift) supra autobox?

I noticed that tiptroninc comes only for facelift models and so does vvti. Just wondering is that some kind of personal preference that everybody chooses non-facelift models. Why not to modify facelift model from a start, rather than taking engine head from vvti?

Will see if I dont have supra by October I might just go to SupraPod just to check it out as I've never been to proper car event :(

Appreciate your kindness :)

It's not that I don't want manual :) it's just that my budget doesn't stretch that much to afford one as it looks like good turboed manual comes for 16k and above.

I was thinking of tiptronic only cause it's somewhere between manual and automatic, but from what I hear automatic shifting is more responsive than tiptronic one.

Just wondering is it whole box slower or it it just tiptronic mode. I meant if I use tiptronic box in auto mode, is it the same as any other regular (non-facelift) supra autobox?

I noticed that tiptroninc comes only for facelift models and so does vvti. Just wondering is that some kind of personal preference that everybody chooses non-facelift models. Why not to modify facelift model from a start, rather than taking engine head from vvti?

Will see if I dont have supra by October I might just go to SupraPod just to check it out as I've never been to proper car event :(

Generally speaking there are more pre-facelift supra's in the UK than facelift. Facelifts usually cost more as well, compared to it's prefacelift equivalent.

I would argue that the VVTI engine is superior to it's predecessor but when it comes to upgrading them there are a few more "challenges" such as VVTI control and drive by wire. These days most after market ECU's can handle either with ease, but in the past it was definitely harder to tune, less so now.

Having driven both engines, I can say I'm impressed with the low down gains of the VVTI.

Tiptronic is kind of a gimic, easier to just leave it in full auto mode.

Nothing wrong with automatics, just requires a different driving style to a manual when driven hard. Have only seen a handful of supra owners that know how to manipulate the auto box under hard driving.