The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What Would You Change ???

Notts_TT

To me it would depend on what you know of the engines history? (stems are ok or not etc?)

As above definitely the water and vac pipes at the rear. All the front stuff isn't too bad to do with the engine in, and if you haven't got the crank pulley nut loose might even be easier once in.

Consider new engine mounts.

You could go mad and do all of the above, and core plugs, oil pressure sensor, even check bearings etc etc etc.

Are you personally doing the engine swapping?

They always recon the rubber and plastic parts are best changed after 20 years so as well as hoses check the brittleness of things like coil pack and clips and while there could be a good opportunity to pull the fuel rail and send it off to Mr Injector to get all the injectors flow tested and new 'o' rings to future proof it against developing fuel leaks. Change the belt and tensioner to.

Rule of thumb take you budget and times it by 4 just from personal experiences. with your engine being out you may as well do everything possible. and if your going to open the engine up then again you may as well do everything possible so you don't have to again later. or for a significant amount of time.

How olds the engine/mileage ? did you see it running any compression tests done

This, also are you fitting yourself? if you are then personally I wouldn't go to town as lots of the things mentioned could be fine for years and if not you know you can always pull it?

Cam seals, front and rear crank seals. Timing with new crank pulley. Tensioner and water pump. Fresh fluids and plugs. And new coolant in the rad. If anything arises then itll be easy fixes?

While your there make sure the engine mounts are good to go?

Then for me I'd leave a lot alone, inspect but if it ain't broke etc. Pipes round the back of the block, vac and water ones I'd do, also turbo water pipes, and the water pipes on the inlet side to/from oil filter housing. These will be so simple to do in comparison to when in the car it would be silly not to. I'd give the block a good flush, as the drain bolt under the second turbo will be easy to access.

If you are considering/it's due a cambelt then you of course could do all that and water pump (there are some fiddly bolts at the back of that that would mean it's easier now)