The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Two school kids. Near Miss

ardasaliah

Avoided a probable fatality today. Driving to work this morning along a dual carriage way going 40mph. I notice two kids trying to cross the road ahead to catch the bus going the other direction. Anticipating that they may jump out at any time I prepare my self to break and avoid them if they did. Anyway as I approached where they were standing ,they looked as though they had given up trying to cross as the bus began to move away. At this point I was about 4 to 5 meters from where they were.

Then all of a sudden they both ran out right in front of me. I thought that was it. I slammed on the breaks, it was damp, ABS kicked in, had to serve to avoid them. I really thought that I would hit them but the car just seemed to swerve around them as they froze because they thought that was it.

A college of mine happened to be behind and had witness the whole thing.

He said if I was in any other car I would have hit them. He had a good look around the car and commented on the size of the breaks tires road holding etc.

Goes to show how stable these cars are. I think the G sensing stuff may have helped too.

Was a bit shocked but proud of the car as it did what I wanted it to do.

Stupid Kids!

How's this as sign of the nice area in which I live - Coming home with the chinki on the passenger seat (sweet and sour not the human kind) I see 5 kids looking at me at the edge of the 30 to 60 limit. As I get closer one kid actually pushes another into the road, falling over, right in my path! Full brakes - nice hot dry day, stopped about 5 meters away, but I woundn't have liked to have been in anything else but a sup with F1-s,

Kids start fighting, I rescue the chinki from the footwell and life goes on. As they say - it's all a bit of fun till someone looses an eye!

Well done.:respekt:

There is a lot of evidence to show that even children in mid teenage years have very limited concept of the speed of an approaching vehicle. They don’t see it the way we do.

There have been some very difficult cases where kids have been knocked down on crossings, kids have walked along a pavement turned and got straight on to the crossing not stopping to pause before crossing. They just assume a car can stop dead in its tracks. Every one has blamed the driver for driving without due care etc, but in reality the car driver had no chance.

If kids look like they are going to go for it they probably will.

Avoided a probable fatality today. Driving to work this morning along a dual carriage way going 40mph. I notice two kids trying to cross the road ahead to catch the bus going the other direction. Anticipating that they may jump out at any time I prepare my self to break and avoid them if they did. Anyway as I approached where they were standing ,they looked as though they had given up trying to cross as the bus began to move away. At this point I was about 4 to 5 meters from where they were.

Then all of a sudden they both ran out right in front of me. I thought that was it. I slammed on the breaks, it was damp, ABS kicked in, had to serve to avoid them. I really thought that I would hit them but the car just seemed to swerve around them as they froze because they thought that was it.

A college of mine happened to be behind and had witness the whole thing.

He said if I was in any other car I would have hit them. He had a good look around the car and commented on the size of the breaks tires road holding etc.

Goes to show how stable these cars are. I think the G sensing stuff may have helped too.

Was a bit shocked but proud of the car as it did what I wanted it to do.

Stupid Kids!

F*ckn 'ell m8, well avoided, you need your wits about you when kids r around, :eek:

Looking well ahead and being prepared for potential hazards - that's a credit to you, more than your lovely car. Kids are stupid when it comes to roads etc, there are too many drivers out there who don't pay attention to these thing. Well done :respekt:

yep antisipation...is the name of the game...

Where I live it tends to be little short ladies..that wonder out into the road without looking and you dont even know they are going to walk out they just do it without looking...tends to be the religeous types bless em...even when i end up sounding the horn...they dont even flinch...they just expect they will be spared lol.

Scares the shit outa me sometimes though!

well done for saving them..hopefully they won't do it again.

:innocent:

Well antisipated :thumbs: Too many drivers don't think ahead or antisipate the un-expected, excellent stuff!

I had a toddler suddenly run out in front of me on a dual carriageway going through Leeds years ago. I noticed him holding his mothers hand walking along the pavement, then just meters away the toddler broke free from his mother and ran right infront of me. I really don't know how I missed him, I just reacted instictively, braked and swerved, had no ABS as it was only just starting to be fitted to cars at the time. One very lucky little lad..... who is probably mugging old ladies and breaking into houses now :rolleyes:

mate,

I have found when in quiet cars people just walk in front not knowing what they are doing...

With my car they hear it well before they see it , 'rumbling chirping monster' Get a louder exhaust and save lives...

http://www.abateofindiana.org/products/items/images/loud.jpg

I actually saw someone get knocked over last friday afternoon.

There was a row of cars waiting to go straight on at a set of lights, So a pedestrian walks between the cars straight out into the right turn lane which just happened to have someone in a silver peugot 206 travelling quite legally at sensible speeds in it. 206 driver didn't stand a chance and had hit the pedestrian sending them flailing up into the air like a rag doll before they could even hit the brake pedal.

It was really surreal right up until the moment the smoke cleared from the braking afterwards and the driver jumped out of their car in utter shock. the most stupid thing about it is that the pedestrian was half way between 2 crossings that both had lights on them and were only about 70 metres apart.

Didn't see or hear what happened to said pedestrian as I turned left off to avoid the subsequent traffic jam. Funny thing is I remember feeling sorry for the driver as they probably are going to get royally reamed now and have to live with the nagging feelings inside that they ran someone over.