The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clutch slip?

berg

Seems like my spec stage 3+ is starting to slip after only a few thousand miles!

Or I think it is anyway

It's only happened in 4th gear and doesn't do it every time strangely

I can floor it in 2nd and 3rd and it's fine every time but once I get into 4th and floor it, it revs up

It's done this a few times now over the last couple of times I've been out in the car

I'm hoping it isn't slip but I can't see what else it can be??

Car is 570ft/lbs and spec rate the clutch at max 620ft/lbs so I would have liked a bit more than 2k miles out of it for £700

Any ideas if it could be anything else?

I was going to say look at clutch adjustment mate but unlikely to be that if only slipping in one gear. As you know my clutch was slipping and turned out to be FUBARD.

Bellhousing is well contained so unlikely to be oil contamination.

Have you tried running it on lowest boost setting and pulling in 4th? Do that first. If it doesn't slip in 4th on low boost then likely to be clutch wear and torque slip at higher setting. I did this on mine mate and as it was slipping on all boost settings knew the clutch was screwed.

Car is up in the air at the moment so i just took the 2 metal inspection plates off the box and had a look inside

No visual signs of oil in there, everything looks dry

There is a drip at the bottom of the gearbox where the bellhousing meets the block, but it cant have come from inside as its completely dry in there, inspection covers on these late model R154 are quite large so theres good visibility inside

Tried to trace it back up but there no signs of oil leak up top either lol

Ill take it for a blast when i get time and try some different boost settings etc

Is it 5 speed you have? no inspection covers to take off and have a look inside, if there is oil contamination then the rear crank seal is directly behind the flywheel Greg.
Ahh yeah forgot R154. Sounds like clutch slip mate but definitely check low boost first.

So I've been and had a play

1.2bar is fine, 1.5 bar is also fine

1.8bar high boost I managed to get it to do it, if I'm cruising in 4th and plant it obviously it's a bit slower picking up and seems to be absolutely fine

If I hard shift from 3rd to 4th and get back on that seems to be what it's not liking

But out of the 3 or 4 times I done it, it only seems to have slipped once this time

Have checked the box again, tiny amount of fresh oil around the bottom again but inside the inspection still bone dry so I don't think it's oil contamination

I can see a bit of the clutch plate inside and to be fair it still looks like it has loads of meat on it so I'm confident it isn't worn down which I wouldn't expect anyway for 2k miles

Because the fault has intermitant charachteristics then could the core splines where it slides be sticking?, you can get a "snick" on the shaft or on the clutch plate centre which will cause this problem. Herbie.

That's a good point but I don't think it was cause slipping. James aka Turtlehead had an issue with one of the cone washers which was causing engagement problems not slip.

Honestly mate I think if it's fine on low and medium boost settings and only slightly problematic on high boost on hard 3rd gear pull then it is the start of minor slip. Remember I had a year of trying everything (adjustment, realignment, master cylinder checks, full clutch bleeding etc) on my clutch and symptoms were very similar at the start.

Does it definitely not slip in 2nd gear high boost setting?

See my started clutch slip thread a few months back for other options to try mate, can't find it on phone.