The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Newbie

Munz

Hi everyone,

So I don't have a Supra... yet. I've owned a couple of Celica's and driven the GT86, but I've wanted a Supra since I was a teenager (I'm not too far off 40) and the planets have finally aligned. New job, different commute etc etc... and my lovely wife now says I can have one!

Looking for a nice twin turbo, though I've got lots of reading up and research to do in the meantime. I've read the what-to-check and model differences guides on here, but any advice or steers gratefully received - wouldn't turn down the collective wisdom of this group!

I'm looking forward to joining the MkIV community proper once I've bought one.

Cheers,

Dave Muns

You've come to the right place check the classifieds on here and you will see a few very tidy well looked after examples and if you find one elsewhere then pop up the info before going to look at it and pretty much all the time someone off here will know the car so can give you advice on it :) happy searching and welcome to the club :)

Hello :)

Welcome to the club. as said above using classifieds, putting a wanted add up with your budget will help as people maybe tempted to sale. if you source a car not on this site then ask on here about it.

these cars are getting old now so looking at brakes, brake lines, valve seals, engine condition (these are bullet proof but still mechanical and can have problems if not cared for) general maintenance items, these don't rust often but there are particular locations to look out for such as under a body kit if it has one. boot lid. if at all get under ninth the cars to have a good look.

hopefully you find one quickly that tickets all your boxes as these are getting expensive.

At least the main thing is that your wife is on board so you don't have to hide it from her :D

Are you going to daily it?

Hi everyone,

So I don't have a Supra... yet. I've owned a couple of Celica's and driven the GT86, but I've wanted a Supra since I was a teenager (I'm not too far off 40) and the planets have finally aligned. New job, different commute etc etc... and my lovely wife now says I can have one!

Looking for a nice twin turbo, though I've got lots of reading up and research to do in the meantime. I've read the what-to-check and model differences guides on here, but any advice or steers gratefully received - wouldn't turn down the collective wisdom of this group!

I'm looking forward to joining the MkIV community proper once I've bought one.

Cheers,

Dave Muns

Hi and welcome to the club !

Whereabouts in Derbyshire are you from ? What kind of budget have you got ?

Hi all,

Well that's a friendly reception! I'm about 10 miles or so north of Derby just outside Belper. Budget subject to flexibility depending on lots of factors (like what the bank will lend me for one!) and what the prices in the classifieds look like. I'll have a good nosey and update. Yes, I'm very lucky in having a petrolhead for a wifey! If I see something I like the look of I will be sure to put it up on here. I'm finding that it's easy to tend to shy away from asking stupid questions on here, even though you really want to know the answer - don't want to seem like a total muppet!

Thanks for the pointers, we're going to head down to the japperformanceshow in a couple of weeks so hopefully talk to some of you there!

Cheers,

Munz :)

First off, hi & welcome :)

A bit of useful info for you below;

Download the PDF in the OP here - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?67644-What-to-check-when-buying-a-Supra

Check out the two PDF's in the OP here - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?59334-Supra-Guide-and-Model-Differences-Chart

If you have a search of the forum for questions you might have you will often find they have been covered several times. Like wise don't be afraid to ask a question (no matter how much you feel a total muppet!) if you can't find an answer or if it's an old thread. We all have to start somewhere and we all like the entertainment - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?33100-boot-release-how-to-(

Also be realistic, do you have an idea of what you are looking to spend and what your ideal car would be?

E2A

Nice car here - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?342977-1996-Facelift-TT-BPU-Unique-TwinZ-Kit-Immaculate

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Link added. (see edit history)

Hi all,

Well that's a friendly reception! I'm about 10 miles or so north of Derby just outside Belper. Budget subject to flexibility depending on lots of factors (like what the bank will lend me for one!) and what the prices in the classifieds look like. I'll have a good nosey and update. Yes, I'm very lucky in having a petrolhead for a wifey! If I see something I like the look of I will be sure to put it up on here. I'm finding that it's easy to tend to shy away from asking stupid questions on here, even though you really want to know the answer - don't want to seem like a total muppet!

Thanks for the pointers, we're going to head down to the japperformanceshow in a couple of weeks so hopefully talk to some of you there!

Cheers,

Munz :)

Not that far from me I'm in chesterfield :) what kind of car are you looking for ?

Stock or modified ?

Manual or auto ?

Import or UK ?

Aerotop or hardtop ?

Ballpark figure of what you are looking to spend ? This will obviously massively affect what you can realistically get.

You are about three years too late to get real vfm, but if prices hold you won't lose much in the long run it's just more initial cost. I struggle with the thought of paying twice as much as I have in the past for the same spec!

Supply is low and getting worse as people now see if they sell it's unlikely they will be able to buy back in later. Parts are getting expensive too, insurers haven't caught up with values so if the worst happens it can be struggle to get a fair value.

That 'doom and gloom' said! They are great and if you get a good one you'll be fine, just that good ones are thin on the ground, and slightly tatty ones aren't that cheap when you look at what you need to spend to tidy them up. If you have zero bodywork or diy mechanic experience then you definitely need to be extra vigilant on purchase.

Not that far from me I'm in chesterfield :) what kind of car are you looking for ?

Stock or modified ?

Manual or auto ?

Import or UK ?

Aerotop or hardtop ?

Ballpark figure of what you are looking to spend ? This will obviously massively affect what you can realistically get.

Hey Tyson, will definitely have to meet up when I've got my mitts on one then! Stock or modified, I don't mind (my preference would be mod but the wife's prefers stock ish) Import or UK, again don't really mind. No. 1 priority is TT, No. 2 priority is Aerotop. Would love a manual but the three seem to be tricky to pull together in the same car for manageable money so might mean an auto. Would prefer to stay as far under 15k as possible, if I can.

You are about three years too late to get real vfm, but if prices hold you won't lose much in the long run it's just more initial cost. I struggle with the thought of paying twice as much as I have in the past for the same spec!

Supply is low and getting worse as people now see if they sell it's unlikely they will be able to buy back in later. Parts are getting expensive too, insurers haven't caught up with values so if the worst happens it can be struggle to get a fair value.

That 'doom and gloom' said! They are great and if you get a good one you'll be fine, just that good ones are thin on the ground, and slightly tatty ones aren't that cheap when you look at what you need to spend to tidy them up. If you have zero bodywork or diy mechanic experience then you definitely need to be extra vigilant on purchase.

Thanks for the overview Scooter - looking around seems to confirm. I've wanted one for as long as I can remember so it'll be with me a while (fingers crossed). Slightly tatty isn't ideal but I guess it would be live-with-able in the short to medium term. I'm not really much of a mechanic - starters and alternators is about as far as I've ever gone! It'll be my daily, though I'm commuting into town with the wife most of the time so that should help keep mileage under control!

First off, hi & welcome :)

A bit of useful info for you below;

Download the PDF in the OP here - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?67644-What-to-check-when-buying-a-Supra

Check out the two PDF's in the OP here - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?59334-Supra-Guide-and-Model-Differences-Chart

If you have a search of the forum for questions you might have you will often find they have been covered several times. Like wise don't be afraid to ask a question (no matter how much you feel a total muppet!) if you can't find an answer or if it's an old thread. We all have to start somewhere and we all like the entertainment - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?33100-boot-release-how-to-(

Also be realistic, do you have an idea of what you are looking to spend and what your ideal car would be?

E2A

Nice car here - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?342977-1996-Facelift-TT-BPU-Unique-TwinZ-Kit-Immaculate

Cheers Bullitt,

Yeah I downloaded the guide and model differences chart when I joined, really useful. I've read around some questions - it takes time to build up a bit of knowledge from zero experience, especially when you're impatient! I'm really after a TT Aerotop for under 15k if possible. Yeah Ellis's car looks stunning, though I didn't see what he's asking for for her.

Looking forward to meeting some of you guys in the fullness of time and being a proper member of the club!