The mkiv Supra Owners Club

R888R vs AD08R

berg

Does anyone have any experience with both of these?

Im buying new wheels and cant decide which of the above to use

Car is primarily street driven, never intentionally used in the wet unless it rains on car show/event days

As far as im aware the R888 can be quite dangerous in the wet?

I use the R888 on my track car but that never sees the road so have no experience with them on wet roads/motorways etc, but i know they arent the best when the track is wet, i usually switch wheels over when it rains, but obviously the supra isnt going to be driven tackday style on wet roads so its hard to compare

Wondering how the AD08R compare in terms of grip on the road, i know they arent a track tyre so its a tough one to compare but alot of people rave about how well they perform on track

Ill be using a 295/30/18

Edited by berg (see edit history)

Any reason you wouldn't consider Michelin Pilot Sport 4 PS4, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup or Michelin Pilot Super Sport?

PS4's get a great review, apparently they are an update on the Super Sports - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-4.htm and here http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/91858/michelin-pilot-sport-4-review

I've just replaced my BMW tyres from Michelin Super Sports (covered 32k miles on a set!) to Michelin Pilot Sport 4. I couldn't get the 4s sadly as only available in 19" and above. Very impressed with these, I think they have the edge on the SS so woukd imagine the 4s are amazing.

R888s are only a problem in standing water Chris providing you're generally sensible in the wet.

I've just been on a track day up at knockhill in Scotland.

The fella who I went with has a BMW m3 e46 and has r888 on it. It was very wet that day in places and my god how he could drive in the wet on the 888's was insane.

On a track it must be different but the tyres where fantastic and just unbelivable in the dry as you'd imagine.

There was one other car there with the yokos and he couldn't seem to get on with them at all however this is wet again

If it's not going to be used on the track surely a more year round tyre would be suitable like the pilot cup sports etc as mentioned above

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry disagree go for AD08r forget R888 if you are not going to do loads of track days , R888 are dangerous in wet and remember it is about one harsh breaking in emergency and you are done. AD08s are great all rounder , only tyre I buy for last 5 years. They are B rated for WET and grip is fantastic for dry.

Last set I did: 20k on fronts and 16k on rears - which I think is great. For me that's about three years on one set of tyres.

Was that on the Supra? Thats amazing mileage with a tyre on the softer compound side.

Yep and i like to do some spins and burn rubber every so often.

Key is four wheel alignment ;)

Seriously brilliant tyre - 265/35/18 at the back with bpu supra and it is really hard to loose traction. Did 175mph on those this year on german autobahn and they felt great, hard sidewalls so great feedback from steering wheel.