The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's an old NA worth?

Ribenaberry

Sorry if I have put this in the wrong part of the forum.

I have had my supra for about 11 years and haven't used it for about 4. It has sat on my drive slowly deteriorating.

This summer was due to be the year I got it all back on the road however recently I had a knock on the door from someone wanting to buy it. But I am not sure what a good price is.

It's a 94 import NA. The engine starts first time (but it needs a new battery) and runs well with no leaks, the paintwork is completely ruined so it needs a respray and the brakes have sat for so long that they probably need replaced/a lot of work doing. Underneath it is in really good condition, with the only rust being on a heat shield for one of the cats. The interior is god for the age, with a little wear on the driver seat. Other than the above big issues, everything else is in good order.

Would anyone be able to give me an idea of a reasonable price to expect for a car in this condition? So I can decide wether to take advantage of any offer my visitor may make?

ah great questions guys,

It's a 94 NA, 5 speed manual box, which makes it 23 years old. I'll stick up some pics once I am home from work, but I really emphasise that the paint is in a very poor condition with a little surface rust etc as you would expect from a car that has sat outside for a while.

Thanks for your help guys.

When you can get relatively clean NA5's for ~£6,000 it's hard to see why a car that's sat for so many years in need of a respray could be worth more than £5,000. Almost impossible to tell without pictures/bodywork/maintenance history etc.

From the little information you've provided (basically it needs work and a spray), with no tacky bodywork and a clean interior I'm thinking £4,500, but to a kid who knocked on my door asking about it, probably after watching it sit for X years, I'd probably be thinking £4k.

Edited by Wonga Spar (see edit history)

You're looking at around £4000-£4500 roughly tbh. The jobs that need doing aren't exactly cheap ones, so it will effect the price dramatically sadly :( more info and pics would be a big help though

• Stock or modified

• Mileage

• Service history

• What parts have been previously

• Rust anywhere

That's just of the questions/info you need to include mate

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info so far, now that I have had time to get some pics together, here they are.

So its an M reg 94 Import, 5 Speed manual in Black but with very bad paintwork. It has a strong engine that still starts first time and the brakes have sat for so long that they need a bit of work. It also needs a new Battery.

Also, the car is stock, apart from a stainless exhaust from the second cat back.

The odometer reads in the region of 230000, but I am assuming this is KMs as it's an import?

No official service history, but it has been serviced by me each year up until it was SORNed.

It hasn't had any other parts on it, I've ran it standard apart from the exhaust.

Rust, as you'll see in the pictures, is at the rear edge of the drivers door, and on the front left arch. It also has a little bit of missing paint/rust? on the front edge of the bonnet.

I also forgot to previously mention that the sideskirts are standard, but one is a little damaged with a fibreglass repair, but its not a particularly good repair.

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

Edited by Ribenaberry (see edit history)

Hello bud :)

Sadly that's worse than I was expecting, and I think realistically you could only expect to get £2k-£3k for it. It's a high miler, no MOT, no service history and needs a significant amount of money put into it up front just to get it to a road-worthy state. Hope you prove me wrong and can get more for it, just want to manage your expectations a bit.

My best advise would be to fit a new battery, do all the tyre pressures and asses the tyre condition for perishing, try to free up the brakes so that it can at least be moved around and or loaded onto a trailer. Spend a solid couple of days giving it a really good clean up inside and out / polish so that potential buyers can actually see what they are buying. So many people will see that and walk away, not being able to see through the green mould. Even though it has its faults, make an effort to present the car in the best possible way you can. You will get back in money what you put in with time to properly present the car. Just my thoughts :)

My best advise would be to fit a new battery, do all the tyre pressures and asses the tyre condition for perishing, try to free up the brakes so that it can at least be moved around and or loaded onto a trailer. Spend a solid couple of days giving it a really good clean up inside and out / polish so that potential buyers can actually see what they are buying. So many people will see that and walk away, not being able to see through the green mould. Even though it has its faults, make an effort to present the car in the best possible way you can. You will get back in money what you put in with time to properly present the car. Just my thoughts :)

Solid advice that :thumbs:

Agree, if I were in the market and you showed me those pictures I probably wouldn't even bother coming to look at it. If I could see the potential and what it actually looks like under all that dirt I would be more inclined to enquire further.

Unfortunately I'd have to agree, when I saw the pictures in my mind I thought no more then £2,000.

I know it's dirty and not showing the exact condition but I'm pretty sure that's a full repaint job. Most probably tyres and brake refurb to start on mechanical side.

£2K is a push and that's for parts!

If it was cleaned up and it starts, then and maybe then you could demand more.

But right now, its a huge risk and I would offer £1.5K to get the ball rolling if I was in the market for a non turbo project

Tbh if he would take £1500 then I would head down next weekend and pick it up

I disagree. Low ball offers. I think you could clean up properly and get £3k out of it having seen pictures. You could quite easily source a SH wing with a little time and depending on full condition have a blowover. Hard to know without being up close and measuring with MM.