The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ignition barrel light

muckyman

Hi all,

I've noticed my ignition barrel light stays on all the time.

I'm sure this has just started, and I also noticed there is no 'lights on' buzzer after the keys taken out and the door opened - I'm 90% sure it used to buzz.

Is there a little switch or similar in the barrel that may be stuck and thinks the key is in?

Is there a fix for this? Maybe some WD40 in the keyhole?

Ta

Michael

So, I sprayed some WD40 to see if that would free off any stuck switch in the barrel and no change.

I've removed the dome fuse for now to prevent any battery drain but that's obviously also switched off my clock and interior lights.

I'm thinking I'll just remove the bulb from the ignition ring light - that should solve it, right?

Anyone have a guide or any pointers on how to get to that bulb to either remove it or unplug it?

Ta

Michael

Is the barrel light adjacent to the door handle on the drivers door also on? I've had a faulty switch in the handle keep the handle light on and I seem to remember them being connected.

Sorry Kev, I'm not sure what you mean? What light are you referring to? My ignition barrel ring light is the one staying on...

The sensor in the door grounds on the metal work which causes the issue. It's done on the moving of the handle from memory as opposed to the turning of the key so not sure if the WD40 will help.

Just trying to see if it's something not connected to the ignition barrel that's the root cause.

All is well again!!

I sprayed some WD40 into the door keyhole and cycled the lock with the key several times, rather than using the alarm fob, and all is working again. Ignition barrel light comes on and goes off as it should and the buzzer is back in action.

Not sure if it was the WD40 or locking/unlocking with the key that did it (maybe it had got out of sync between the alarm fob and the door key?)

Anyway, all sorted now without any major dismantling of dash or door

Ta to all who replied :-)