The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Servicing non servicable ball joints

rider

There are control arms no longer available from Mr Toyota on the Supra where the factory arms have non-serviceable ball joints. Has anyone ever looked into removing an arm b/j and machining the arm to fit a generic serviceable b/j? If its not been done yet, someone will need to have a go at it sometime or everyone had better hope aftermarket pattern parts start to become available. The only alternative available today would be to fit fully adjustable track and race arms instead.

If no one has done it I was thinking of having my local metal bashers see if its possible, anyone interested in crowd funding the project?

There are control arms no longer available from Mr Toyota on the Supra where the factory arms have non-serviceable ball joints. Has anyone ever looked into removing an arm b/j and machining the arm to fit a generic serviceable b/j? If its not been done yet, someone will need to have a go at it sometime or everyone had better hope aftermarket pattern parts start to become available. The only alternative available today would be to fit fully adjustable track and race arms instead.

If no one has done it I was thinking of having my local metal bashers see if its possible, anyone interested in crowd funding the project?

I can part fund. :)

I have pair of front lower facelift arms- one with knackered balljoint due to torn dust boot. The other seems ok- moves quite freely but no play.

Also have a pair of rear lower camber arms, aftermarket dust boots fitted with I think ok condition balljoints.

Yours for nothing if you arrange the collection but I need them gone by two weeks as I don't have space for storage. :)

I can part fund.

Really appreciate the offer but I have knackered control arms to 'play' from the sub frame I purchased with so was hoping people might want to spread the costs. If there is an interest, maybe the club could even fund it? Then I could seek out the right sized b/j for the various arms and see if I can find a machinist willing to tackle punching out the old joint and machining a new sleeve and seat for a serviceable replacement. If I go ahead and do it on my own I'd probably keep the info and specs proprietary and become to control arms what Heckler is to LEDs.

The other seems ok- moves quite freely but no play.

The consensus on b/j seating is if it flops about and can be wiggled with no resistance its already worn and a short time off knocking.

What parts do Toyota not make anymore?

A great many of the Supra parts were probably last bulk ordered by Toyota 5 years ago and its just what's left in the supply chain. I'm only looking into the rear suspension at the moment and its not good news on the lower control and track arms. Its not really good news on the other parts either as Lexus and Soarer owners prefer the common Supra upper arms to their own because they have firmer bushing. Replacing joints on non serviceable parts isn't rocket science, Moog makes a b/j specifically for Jeep non serviceable arms. They just haven't got around to doing it for the Supra.

• 5 months later...