The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cant get pulley bolt out

sean17650199

As title says cant get the crank pulley bolt out had the impact gun on it and hasnt budged next call was going to be one of those locking tools and get the breaker bar on it unless anyone else has a better idea? If not is there a specific locking tool or would a universal one work? Cheers

is it a manual or auto? A manual you can put it in gear and have someone put their foot on the brake as an extra precaution and then use a breaker bar plus 'x' foot of scaffold pole over the top, if it's very tight it will 'go' in a series of cracks that sound bad but aren't, you often have to be far more brutal than seems reasonable!

Its auto, take it they dont lock up? Ive heard about the breaker bar on the floor method but wasnt keen on it, is it safe enough to do or can damage be done elsewhere?

/QUOTE]

I've got a tool so never needed to try it but I would remove an efi fuse if I did and triple check the direction it'll rotate! It's worked for many people trouble you'll have is you need to torque it back after somehow....air gun might do it I spose?

Okay so i dont know who tightened this crank pulley bolt but its not budging one bit, i tried the ignition bump way, i tried a locking tool but the two bits that go into the holes on the pulley started to bend, so took most of the front of that car off to fit my gun for taking lorry wheels into it and it still hasnt moved maybe this is a sign to drop a turbo engine in sooner rather than later, anyone else got any ideas?

What worked for me was:

Toyota locking tool

3/4" drive breaker bar (I used one of these and it held up ok: http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/hand-tools/halfords-advanced-breaker-bar-19-3-4-drive)

My mate managed to get hold of two lengths of metal tubing kinda similar to scaffolding poles, probably about 5ft in length? Popped one over the handle of the locking tool and the other over the handle of the breaker bar and (took 3 of us in the end) my mate on one end and me and another mate on the other end and it gave. Had to take the bonnet off completely.

Dunno why it was that tight - mental!

Just an idea :)

Secure fitting socket with a breaker bar on floor and flip ignition, make sure you set it the right way so it doesn't fly upwards.....loads of people say not to do this but it works every time, its the way I've always done it.

I did a similar thing to remove a flywheel bolt on a transverse engine but instead of using the engine rotation, which packs a lot of torque, I dropped the car on the jack and used gravity instead which I felt was more controllable and could be released by raising again quickly if things didn't sound quite right. It'd be interesting to know if the weight of the car bearing down on a long bar generates more or less force than the starter.

Now i'm not exactly sure what he did but when we changed my cp my mechanic mate popped a cover off on the bell housing

which gave him access to lock the crank, dont ask me how but thats what we did and off came the cp bolt with a 2ft breaker bar

I did a similar thing to remove a flywheel bolt on a transverse engine but instead of using the engine rotation, which packs a lot of torque, I dropped the car on the jack and used gravity instead which I felt was more controllable and could be released by raising again quickly if things didn't sound quite right. It'd be interesting to know if the weight of the car bearing down on a long bar generates more or less force than the starter.

I suspect more! only thing to watch with this is as the bar will be pointing down it'll need to on a surface that lets it slide outwards as it comes under pressure (if you see what I mean?) or the jack positioned in a direction that the jack/car moves to compensate.

I have a tool made by my dad's cnc mate which is the usual bar but also has a turned piece of aluminium that fits into the recess of the crank pulley, this piece supports the 2 small bolts that the bar clamps down with, and also once the nut is loose it acts as a puller and removes the pulley completely saving that faff.

I would be shocked if you managed to get it off with any impact gun

Locking tool and you will be sound with the bolt

Then just pray that the actual pulley comes off afterwards, get a harmonic balance removal tool for that

I spent 2 days getting my pulley off, bent and ruined a harmonic balance tool and ended up with the holes in the pulley drilled out to M12 size as it was so tight the bolts kep ripping straight out, high tensile M12 bolts held in the end but the £30 tool was scrap afterwards