The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stem Seals - anyone fancy the job?

ellis

Yes the car's up for sale but I'd like to get the stem seals done. I know they're a few very capable spanner boys on here and wondered if anyone fancied a bag full of beer tokens for doing them! 😁 I have a full set of Ferrea seals sat here along with a paper bug full of her Majesty's paper portraits

Bit more to buy.

Before you start the parts you need to order are:-

Valve stem seal (Inlet) 90913-02088 12 off at £3.53 each

Valve stem seal (Exhaust) 90913-02123 12 off at £4.93 each

Cam shaft oil seal 90311-40020 2 off at £6.59 each

I recommend that if you've not had the camcovers off in a while you also order the following:-

Cam cover bolts 90105-06166 12 off at £0.56 each

Cam cover nut 90179-06288 4 off at £0.56 each

Cam cover washer 90210-07001 16 off at £1.83 each

Cam cover gasket (Inlet) 11213-46020 1 off at £7.53 each

Cam cover gasket (Exhaust) 11214-46011 1 off at £7.53 each

You'll also need some gasket sealant. I bought the Toyota stuff which was a little expensive to say the least, but hell, I've got it now so...

Seal packing 08826-00050 1 off at £42.96

If you've not replaced the spark plugs in a while also, you may want to order the following:-

Coil pack clip 90980-11246 6 off at £2.81 each

Cam breather hose 12263-46010 1 off at £5.78 each

Cam breather hose 12264-46010 1 off at £4.98 each.

Ignore the prices, they were 2005 prices. I bought into the complete setup ready for if/when and it wasn't cheap.

Bit more to buy.

Before you start the parts you need to order are:-

Valve stem seal (Inlet) 90913-02088 12 off at £3.53 each

Valve stem seal (Exhaust) 90913-02123 12 off at £4.93 each

Cam shaft oil seal 90311-40020 2 off at £6.59 each

I recommend that if you've not had the camcovers off in a while you also order the following:-

Cam cover bolts 90105-06166 12 off at £0.56 each

Cam cover nut 90179-06288 4 off at £0.56 each

Cam cover washer 90210-07001 16 off at £1.83 each

Cam cover gasket (Inlet) 11213-46020 1 off at £7.53 each

Cam cover gasket (Exhaust) 11214-46011 1 off at £7.53 each

You'll also need some gasket sealant. I bought the Toyota stuff which was a little expensive to say the least, but hell, I've got it now so...

Seal packing 08826-00050 1 off at £42.96

If you've not replaced the spark plugs in a while also, you may want to order the following:-

Coil pack clip 90980-11246 6 off at £2.81 each

Cam breather hose 12263-46010 1 off at £5.78 each

Cam breather hose 12264-46010 1 off at £4.98 each.

Ignore the prices, they were 2005 prices. I bought into the complete setup ready for if/when and it wasn't cheap.

Great list!

At the end of the day this isn't an easy job and I guess people want to be paid hard cash for the work.

Which is exactly what I'm offering - those who know me know I'm not a cheapskate or after a cheap job. I think I've proved that over the years.

Which is exactly what I'm offering - those who know me know I'm not a cheapskate or after a cheap job. I think I've proved that over the years.
Yes I know mate, sorry if that came across the wrong way. I just meant you need someone with the right expertise, even using rope trick method, and thus people command a premium. Good luck hope you get it resolved soon.

I can do it if you are not in a rush, I have done loads of them. But it's a horrible back straining job that I charge accordingly for :)

Roughly how much do you charge Chris seeing you are local to me. Would you recommend changing out or having the injectors cleaned, new rings and calibrated, plus clips and coil packs at the same time if they have never been changed in 20+ years?

Roughly how much do you charge Chris seeing you are local to me. Would you recommend changing out or having the injectors cleaned, new rings and calibrated, plus clips and coil packs at the same time if they have never been changed in 20+ years?

When I spoke to Chris about it he said if you don't want the rope trick and want a head off job it's cheaper to get a reconditioned head.

When I spoke to Chris about it he said if you don't want the rope trick and want a head off job it's cheaper to get a reconditioned head.

How long ago was that? I wonder if that still applies with the price of things flying up and availability of heads.

Also interested to know the answer to this, in case the day comes and mine need doing.

How long ago was that? I wonder if that still applies with the price of things flying up and availability of heads.

Earlier this year. He said he was too well versed in the task to give me a fixed price. He listed all the things that would most likely need doing if he opened up a 20+ year old engine and then said a reconditioned head would be a better option.

Whilst just doing stem seals with the head on will often cure a smoky engine it is almost certain the guides and seats will also benefit from attention, then do you fit new springs? New top hats and collets? New valves? Depends on the future you have in mind for the engine. Just fixing a smoky exhaust will often be achieved by doing stem seals with the valves kept shut with compressed ar, but if you plan a 600 BHP plus engine it would be far preferable to go over the head fully on the bench. Depends on budget, miles on the engine and whether you plan on giving it a shock in its old age :) Head off on a TT has cost implications in turbo gaskets etcetera of course. If the head has been cooked through overheating and gone soft it's really a scrapper as heat treating one won't be cost effective at the moment, not until they get to hen's teeth stage at least, as a new casting will be far cheaper and probably safer..

Here is the way I see it, you have the cheap (er) fix to get rid of the smoke puff at start up and (in my experience) tiny loss in oil consumption, and then you have the comprehensive fix that means a decoking of the head ports (that oil burning won't have helped the internal/combustion areas of the head and pistons) valves relapped, all new gaskets yada yada yada.

Now myself I'm planning on diying the seals in situ with air or rope, I might buy/borrow a little inspection camera to look into each piston. Might even consider that tetra clean treatment and look into the bores again after?

The one suffering from partially gone seals (if I align the cams in a certain way I get zero puff after weeks) it is stock and likely to stay that way, so extra carbon in the chambers (which I believe can increase the chances of Det because of the rough surfaces - is that BS?) isn't too much of an issue (might be at bpu) and maybe 5-10 years later it'll get a complete going over.

For me I'd go for the full head off if you were pulling the engine to do everything refreshing wise ie core plugs, oil pump etc etc as well as the head work.

This is something I kind of wish I done whilst having both sides of the block and cam covers off recently. I bought all new OEM gaskets, seals, washers etc everywhere and now don't want to end up taking the head off to buy all new again.

I know its a painful long job with the head on, more expensive with cost of labour but looks like the way I'll have to go. When I do, I will want to refresh as much as I can what ever that may entitle.

I done a compression test on the car last week, was getting around 175-180 across all 6 and had a look with my brothers Snap-On borescope which nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

I've always thought if you're not refreshing anything on the head, leave it put! Could cause more problems than you currently have.

Also the prices I always heard for this job were:

£500 Rope/Air trick way

£1000 Head off way