The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension Bushing and read across to Soarer and Lexus options

rider

I've been looking at various bush options and wonder if there are any pearls people have to throw out.

Powerflex versus Super Pro seems to be Supers are better, better fitting and being chamfered have less drag so move, flex, more freely up and down on arms.

There is, on a Lexus forum a 'difinitive' guide to read across on parts from Lexus 300 and 400 to the Supra

front lower control arms - identical

front upper control arms - identical

front spindles - identical

front swaybar - identical

rear upper control arm (identical)

rear lower camber control arm (2 bushings 1 ball joint) (INCOMPATIBLE) Supra's are shorter and the sway bar link location is slightly different

rear lower toe control arm (1 bushing 1 ball joint) (INCOMPATIBLE)

rear lower traction link (1 bushing and mates to only bushing on spindle) identical

rear spindles - Not identical according to *******.

rear swaybar - Not identical but requires mkiv rear subframe mounts to be compatible.

rear subframe - Not identical at all as the lower arms pivot point are out further away from the center line (see rear lower control arms being shorter). The Supra subframe also has front to back bracing unlike the SC. HOWEVER, it will bolt up and if you have all of the supra control arms the entire unit is a direct swap. From what I can tell the pros are increased clearance for exhaust, stiffer frame, and shorter control arms which might be beneficial somehow (probably only in a road race application where every bit of chassis flex is important).

subframe mounts - identical, cheaper, and an upgrade from stock. the rear mounts have the swaybar mounts which would allow one to bolt up a lighter (its smaller) and probably stuffer supra TT rear swaybar.

Sway Bar Endlink Configurations:

NOTE: you can use either supra or SC end links HOWEVER each requires their own control arms which requires their own subframe (for reasons listed above).

Supra rear subframe requires supra rear lower control arms requires supra sway bar links

SC rear subframe requires SC rear lower control arms requires SC sway bar links

brake lines - identical

calipers/rotors - identical

The reason why this could be useful information is there are things like control arm bushes that look like OE style black bushes available for a few £'s online listed as suitable fitment for the Soarer or Lexus beyond the usual purple, blue, red or yellow polymer bushes listed for the Supra. Whether the rubber is any good for the Supra is another question but when you see bushes for these and other cars available for 'identical' parts for a few £ it leaves me wondering if £40 per highly coloured bush for the Supra is reasonable or is it a rip off. The bushes are not available from Toyota, they would rather you buy a new £400 control arm.

Has anyone ever used aftermarket Soarer or Lexus fitment bushes in their 'cross over' Supra suspension parts who can share their experience?

Looks like no one has ventured beyond the polybush options to the failing supply of OE bushes in Supra World from the lack of response.

To add to the bush knowledge base the cheaper bushes that read across from Soarer and Lexus common components are made by a company called Febest. Febest is reportedly an import/distribution company based in Germany and Florida, USA and it is reported by users to source products mainly from India and China. There are a few complainants online about the quality of these bushes (being too soft), exhaust hangers get a thumbs up though.

Moog also make the front control arms for the lexus/supra but these get a very bad press for durability.

The search goes on, alone.

I think the cheap control arms are probably those ones I linked to in China that were something like 5 or 10 for $300.

I have upper front arms from not Febest but Optimal and had a thread discussing them.

The problem is that of original construction and quality, Chinese can copy them but what are they made of? the mid price or Dorman ones you mention might just be the el cheapo's with a middle man mark up on? We are relying on people like Optimal and febest having a professional relationship with the supplier and imposing tight quality controls re materials and construction. Without an established oem quality supply line it's a minefield really unless you stick to Toyota (and even then are careful of the source being 100% genuine (I wonder where these genuine ones are actually made!?)

I recall seeing your input on that and from memory the rear arms had the same pattern which all the bespock (racing) ones I've come across don't. Some even look like welded box section.

Dorman have a good reputation for 'cheap' but durable arms so I'll be keeping an eye open for any progress they make towards introducing track rods and rear control arms suited to the Supra. I wont be holding my breath though as it probably wont happen beyond the upper control arms as I'd suspect any parts will be introduced primarily for Lexus customers and the other arms and rods are different lengths or have the drop link in a different position to the Supra. Apparently, the Lexus owners, bastards, have been buying up Supra common control arms because Toyota sold them cheaper than Lexus dealers did and the Supra part bushes are firmer giving a sportier ride.

The question to be faced by all owners is do you go for cheap inferior OE pattern parts that will last maybe 30k miles (but that's like 30 years anyway for a lot of Supras) or go for track developed sports fully adjustable suspension in orange, blue or pink with yellow, blue or red bushes this side of blue print part products appearing on the market?