The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel consumption issue

Thomas.B

Hey!

So finally the little beast is up and running (6speed single 500whp and using pump gas) and everything is fine, emissions etc where good during MOT, had it mapped for MOT, then i've removed the cat and put back the real map.

I've mostly been cruising a little and ofcourse done a few pulls but nothing much.

On half a tank ive only reached 160km, 100miles(!)

Was gonna start by checking the vacuum hoses, any ones in perticular I should attend to first?

The car has been sitting for most of 4 years but it's been in storage and started a few times every year.

I had a similar problem on my last Supra but it was like that when I bought it and that was the vacuum hoses, my "new" one worked perfectly from start.

Car pulls great and runs perfect and smooth.

I wanna believe it was better on consumption when I got it. It's been a few years though.

It's 55 liters in the tank if I remember correctly? That would mean almost 2liters per swedish mile... Seems crazy to me I think it ran like 1.2liters/swedish mile before...

Guys that run singles, what mileage are you getting?

That's an incredible inaccurate way of testing it though, as you're relying on your fuel gauge being accurate.

Best thing to do, is brim the tank, then drive around in your normal style until it's almost empty, then refill and divide the mileage you've covered, by the amount of litres/gallons you put in.

More power doesn't mean worse fuel consumption - unless you're driving wot everywhere. Mine is mid 500 bhp, and I still achieve circa 300 miles per full tank, with mixed driving

Yeah I know, car should not use anywhere near this amount.

I will top her off and see the what it makes out to, but it did work before as the fuel light lit up and it went to the top so it shouldn't be the gauge.

I'll probably change the vacuum hoses at the same time, as it's cheap and easy to do plus I want everything black and they are in two different colors now.

If i remember most are 4mm and a few are 6mm, can anyone confirm?

So I changed a couple today and had one off but it seemed fine so just striped it up, as the car is single I cant find that many as in a standard one.

Found these two that are plugged, what are they for? Again car is basically as when I picked it up and had no issued with fuel then.

Was thinking of changing the FPR one tomorrow then top the car up with petrol and drive a little to see if it helped any.

Anything else I should check before driving maybe?

cheers

A quick update.

Fuel consumption was probably due to the FPR cable being bad. Changed a few vacuum pipes and the FPR vacuum and also calibrated the throttle position and consumption is well under half of what it was :)

Second Supra with vacuum pipes being bad and shitty consumption.