The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie here with a UK Spec Auto - Want more power

wheelfurb

Hi all,

Can moderators please unlock my members privileges? Paid for membership via paypal last night and said it takes less than an hour. Obviously not the case.

Anyway back to my BPU car. After reading a lot of posts on the forum, I will be going down the single turbo route, however really undecided about the gearbox route. Ideally I would like to go for Whifbitz's DCT conversion, but coupled with the single set up will be way over £20k.

Really starting to dislike my Auto. I read somewhere SRD do a Lexus gearbox conversion. Might look into that.

Welcome - pics would be most welcome. Plenty of good modification advice on here although I am a fan of keeping them stock but that's just me.

Well don't get me wrong its a great box but would prefer more control. I would have liked a 6 speed UK but could not afford one. Not that there's many available anyway. My aim is to go to around 650 - 700BHP.

You can keep your car as an auto at 700hp by upgrading to a SRD built auto min stage 3 and convert to flappy paddle change. This gives you the best of both worlds pottering around in normal auto mode or flick to flappy paddle manual change which definitely gives you more control over gear changes. It requires specific upgrades to syvecs ecu but if you are going single you can factor that in.

You can keep your car as an auto at 700hp by upgrading to a SRD built auto min stage 3 and convert to flappy paddle change. This gives you the best of both worlds pottering around in normal auto mode or flick to flappy paddle manual change which definitely gives you more control over gear changes. It requires specific upgrades to syvecs ecu but if you are going single you can factor that in.

Whats that lot cost John ?

Noticed on your footer, the spec on your car is similar to what I want to achieve. I take it you have the built box. Would you mind messaging me or posting on here what all that cost from SRD?

If you do consider going the built box route, I have a titan built auto transmission here, that's virtually brand new.

Currently taking up space in my garage, as I've done a manual conversion.

I'd take £1k for it

/QUOTE]

I'll beat that in mind as soon as I decide which route I'm going to take

Whats that lot cost John ?

The cost of the box is on SRD website think it's about £3.5k - flappy paddle is cheap but you need Syvecs S6plus to control the engine and box that's about £2k. Obviously you need the normal supporting mods for going single and as you know price is dependant on what kit you go for.

Why not just keep this car as it is and buy a 700bhp car as well or instead of your Supra? There are a couple of good high bhp Supras for sale at the moment. You will not increase the value of the car by the cost of conversion and in some cases older conversion singles have sold for below stock car prices. Big singles tend to either get broken for parts or sold abroad so it'd be the path to the end of another UK car on UK roads.

Why not just keep this car as it is and buy a 700bhp car as well or instead of your Supra? There are a couple of good high bhp Supras for sale at the moment. You will not increase the value of the car by the cost of conversion and in some cases older conversion singles have sold for below stock car prices. Big singles tend to either get broken for parts or sold abroad so it'd be the path to the end of another UK car on UK roads.

To be fair you do have a point. But having 2 Supras........ her indoors would kill me. Does anyone else seriously have 2 Supras?

You need to meet Mark - he has 3 and good on him. Featured in Modern Classics recently too

- - - Updated - - -

3.5 supras

Doh - didn't see your post. I'll be your manager

Wow more than 2 Supras. Boys and their toys...... For those with more than 1 Supra....did it ever occur to you guys you could have bought a different toy? Why have the same car? The dilemma I have is say for £20k:

1/ Modify existing car with DCT and big single or

2/ Buy an existing 6 speed big single or

3/ Buy another toy like a C63 AMG

Wow more than 2 Supras. Boys and their toys...... For those with more than 1 Supra....did it ever occur to you guys you could have bought a different toy? Why have the same car? The dilemma I have is say for £20k:

Supras are infectious and appreciating especially the manuals. I don't think there is anything as satisfying to own from my

perspective and I own other cars. They are so unique and ahead of their time. As I said I prefer them stock it but a great car to modify no doubt.

Options...

1. You're going to need more than 20K I reckon, just ask Big Mark

2. Your best option. For around your budget you could get a single turbo six speed

3. You could.

I kind of got lucky, bought both in much cheaper times, I was going to sell one but then sort of didn't need to financially and now prices have gone up I know I couldn't get another so I'm just sitting on them and tinkering etc.

Other cars tempt me but not quite enough, I perceive them all as more risky, I have this forum all the Toyota manuals and hands on knowledge/experience of Supra's to reassure me I'll be ok going forward with them. Ok some other cars will be faster but those will be more expensive, massively so than my ones, and not that much faster, plus as I'm now 44 I don't really want anything faster.

A rumbly V8 would be nice purely for the noise but not had the urge to jump ship yet, if the Supra increase to where an ISF is decreasing to (and they aren't far away) I might go for one of those....