The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stuck between a rock and a hard place... what the hell do i do :-(

Jam127

So, my insurance lapses soon and i am not being offered a renewal due to my driving convictions & points that i picked up last year... i have trade insurance in place but they also dont want to touch the supra. Iv just spent a hella lot of money on it getting it to be mechanically sweet & also driving in a straight line, the only thing it needs (not desperately) is a paint job, i am very happy with it right now and i was just starting to enjoy the car again. SO ... here are my options

Sell the car - which really is the very last thing i want to do after all the effort/money/blood/sweat/tears i have gave this car.

Transfer it over to a relatives name, get them to insure it and drive it through my trade policy (i can drive any car). BAD IDEA?

Dry store it until my points clear - keep it as an 'ongoing project' buy bits here and there and improve it all round. Make it mint in time for it coming back out (upgrade parts, possibly go ridox fenders all round then get it painted).

Its a GTE single in an na shell which i swapped myself due to having an accident in my genuine tt6. It was only cosmetic damaged, all running gear was absolutely fine after changing a few parts here & there.

Iv got it looking the way i wanted, running mint with multiple trips to my tuner, having head work done, changing injectors etc etc etc so the last thing i want to do is kinda throw it all away after what iv mentioned. Iv been on a massive journey with the car and it hasnt been easy. Its a love hate relationship really, i know they are rocketing in prices and they are getting hard to find. This also throws me towards keeping it as opposed to selling aswell. What are they going to be worth in say 2-3 years?

Please dont ask me for a price, like stated its really the last thing on my mind. It wont cost me much to store it, il get the car out every now & then (private land) to keep things moving freely. Id probably also get it taken to an mot station every year just to keep on top of things that way Aswell.

Put yourselfs in my shoes and let me know what you would honestly do...

Banter is welcomed but be kind, please ;-)

I'd go with the store it option.

This may be a silly question but have you tried other insurance companies? Just because your current one won't renew it doesn't mean that all insurance companies will say no. Phone around, I believe there are companies who cater specifically for naughty drivers :)

Not going to be nice. You are where you are beacuse of your actions on the road. And i have no respect for that. Dry store it for later on but expect to pay stupid money to drive it. You considered selling, so dont see you as a supra nut lile alot of us?

I'd go with the store it option.

This may be a silly question but have you tried other insurance companies? Just because your current one won't renew it doesn't mean that all insurance companies will say no. Phone around, I believe there are companies who cater specifically for naughty drivers :)

I have mate, noone will touch me

Not going to be nice. You are where you are beacuse of your actions on the road. And i have no respect for that. Dry store it for later on but expect to pay stupid money to drive it. You considered selling, so dont see you as a supra nut lile alot of us?

Not looking for respect from anyone, that wasnt what i asked. Why should i expect to pay stupid money to drive it when my licence is all clear...? Like stated i do still have insirance so my NCB will keep rising and so will my 'years of driving'

So, i wont be a 'new' driver, il have lots of NCB (hopefully) and il have a clean licence...

Do most insurance comps count ncb earn't on trader policies

Mines does dunk, i asked before i had taken out the policy

- - - Updated - - -

Store it.

What convictions?

Cd10 & is10. They were originally worse but i fought my corner at court and got them reduced as it was found a certain party were telling porkies

Mines does dunk, i asked before i had taken out the policy

Good news as long as you stick with them

If no one will insure you on the supra till these points are gone then its a long wait i'm afraid, dry storage wont be cheap unless

you have somewhere, if you keep the car i'd get it in a carcoon or similar

I don't get it you are not banned but no body will insure you normally they will but at a premium?

If you're considered to be too high of a risk they won't even bother. ive been refused quotes on certain cars before simply because of my age, and the ones that did quote me, quoted a silly price so they wouldn't have to deal with me

From their point of view, even if they. Charge you an insanely high premium. They still believe you're likely to cause an accident, which could cost thousands. It's not worth their time time quote people who they believe will crash

Edited by Karl M N (see edit history)

Do most insurance comps count ncb earn't on trader policies

There are some that don't, I went from a Trade policy on my Navara to a normal one. My company said that it might not transfer if I go to a different company. I think if you stick with the same company you are normally ok!

If it was up to me, I'd store it and get all the work you wanted done to it.

Have you tried Classic car policies like FootMan James? I know guys who have points on their license and they've had no issues with it. The only issue i can see is that they may not insure it as its overly modified. But worth a call?

Insurance companies hate IN 10's

but this company 'might' be sympathetic, it certainly reads like they will try their best to at least quote.

https://www.keithmichaels.co.uk/convicted-driver-car-insurance/helpful-information/driving-without-insurance/

Its an is10 mate, failing to comply with a warden or police officer. Thanks, il give them a shout when its time to try and get a policy

Have you tried Classic car policies like FootMan James? I know guys who have points on their license and they've had no issues with it. The only issue i can see is that they may not insure it as its overly modified. But worth a call?

Iv heard good & bad stories about them, i will give them a call though but im pretty young for this type of car and yes its pretty modified