The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra lying up

Supra.SZ-R

Hey all, it's been a long time since I have posted here.

I will hope to become more active in the new year, both online and with my Supra herself.

My concern is that my Supra has not been active in almost 2 years, has not had a service has not had a drive on the open road.

I drove her at Christmas time last, she seemed great, but I am still worried, dad fires her up ever 2-3 weeks to heat her up.

Ireland is a humid place, and even though she is inside in a shade, it can't beat humidity in the air

Anyways what should I do before hitting the road? She had new tires before she began her hibernation.

Thanks for any tips

If your car is stored inside you might want to invest in a dehumidifier. I fire mine up every time the main doors are opened which I do often when its dry and sunny to let the garage air. Running the dehumidifier after that on a timer for 8 hours, its amazing how much water it drags out of the air.

Modern oils are good at maintaining a film but it'll be very thin after 6 months (it goes sub 1μm after a month of standing). If storing again in the future maybe get your dad to run it a short distance each time he warms the engine up to keep an oil film on the transmission parts. That way you'll eliminate any possibility of rust spots forming from condensation inside the internals. Or stick the back up on axle stands so the transmission can be run in gear now and again.

Other than that you should be good to go, though the brakes may take a few stops to cut back into the discs.

I had a great MOT tester after mine was put back on the road. Gave the whole car a once over to make sure everything looked good. The biggest issue was the manky old fuel, once it had good fuel it ran beautifully.

I did a full fluid & filter change as well. So far, so good!

Hope it all goes well!

Fuel will be off so get some fresh stuff in there before going for a spirited drive, and you'll probably find your calipers will need attention.

I put some Redex fuel system cleaner in mine recently as it had been stood for 9 months, and stuck some decent fuel in.

Thanks guys, I will definitely get that fuel out, it's damn near two years old :S

And yeah Mike still stuck here, but not for long December I will be home for good, I need to relax a while and study after that, but main thing I guess I need my Supra haha

I had my Supra sat for a few years on two occasions ..

Once when having the body work sorted which the first bodyshop shafted me (2 1/2 years)

Second time when I moved house (2 years)

1st time getting back into was just an engine oil change and the car was fine

Car started first turn. Fuel wise I didn't go full boost until I put fresh fuel in

2nd time the brakes were a bit spongy so done all fluids as they were due anyways, engine, coolant, PAS, gearbox and diff fluids

Could you simply run the car until she is empty if the fuel level is nearly at zero anyway, and then and new stuff after, and some fuel system cleaner in I should be ok?

I'm thinking of swapping my original exhaust to an aftermarket one, more so for the sake of keeping my original one clean since it is perfect and will be needed for passing tests in the future.

Thinking about BPU too.

But nothing serious