The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello :)

Guest Becky

Guest Becky

Hello everyone! :)

i have always loved supras and would love to buy one eventually. Would love to own a decent track car too so trying to decide between the 2!

When i get a car it will mostly be on finance so i was wondering what the downsides are from some of you owners? anything that is common to break etc as i dont want to be paying for the garage to fix things as well as the finance!

Im not great with cars so please dont go too into detail! :innocent:

Thanks!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Becky.

My opinion is that whilst they are very strong reliable cars, they are 20-25 years old now and some things will wear out/need replacing.

In light of that, I would personally not do finance as you could end up with bills also. Better to save until you have the cash to buy and then deal with any issues as and when they arise (if you get any at all that is....)

Lots of parts break or simply fail due to age as the mkiv is now getting on in years, the youngest being 15 yrs old and the oldest 24 yrs

How much you have to do really depends on the car you start with and how well its been maintained

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Guest Becky

thanks for the reply! Yeah, i'm trying to save up as much as i can till i find one that i really like. Then hopefully i can get someone who knows about cars to come look with me! my brother loves working on cars so hopefully he can come inspect them for me. they look gorgeous for a car thats 25 years old! i wont be driving it hard at all so hopefully it will last me :)

Guest Becky

i did just see that! thank you Dnk :) I guess everyone wants to know they have power, but yes ideally id love a nice looking one! is the twin turbo the best one to get?

Guest Becky

The supra is one of my favorite looking cars! ive never been in one though so not sure how it drives. haha my bother is a big VW fan... he will be disappointed with me when i come home with a Supra :p

Im sure you can convert your friend if he has seen yours! i love white cars :p

i did just see that! thank you Dnk :) I guess everyone wants to know they have power, but yes ideally id love a nice looking one! is the twin turbo the best one to get?

Well that really depends on what you want power wise

A stock NA has around 200 bhp, stock TT 300 bhp and a slightly modded TT can put out 400 bhp, after that you go single turbo and 500, 600, 700 + hp is do able dependant on how big your budget is

Guest Becky
Well that really depends on what you want power wise

A stock NA has around 200 bhp, stock TT 300 bhp and a slightly modded TT can put out 400 bhp, after that you go single turbo and 500, 600, 700 + hp is do able dependant on how big your budget is

Thank you :) i would have thought the 2 turbos are better than 1... i would love a car over 300bhp! that would be plenty fast for me :D and i love the sounds of turbos!

Thank you :) i would have thought the 2 turbos are better than 1... i would love a car over 300bhp! that would be plenty fast for me :D and i love the sounds of turbos!

You can go big hp using 2 turbos but its much simpler doing it with one, for me personally a twin turbo running

400 hp is plenty quick enough for road use, even on track its still pretty impressive

Its also pretty straight forward to take a stock TT from 300 to 400 hp and not too expensive

You can also mod an NA to become an NA-T but thats a bit more involved than starting with

the TT and going BPU as its known

Guest Becky
You can go big hp using 2 turbos but its much simpler doing it with one, for me personally a twin turbo running

400 hp is plenty quick enough for road use, even on track its still pretty impressive

Its also pretty straight forward to take a stock TT from 300 to 400 hp and not too expensive

its not for sale by any chance? haha :p 400 would be too much for me i think... :taped:

its not for sale by any chance? haha :p 400 would be too much for me i think... :taped:

You might be surprised how quick you get used to 300 hp, when i bought my first

TT which was stock i thought wow this is quick but after a while you get the urge for

more an with a few simple mods (exhaust, decat, fcd, bc ) you up it to around 400 which

is a nice jump.

If you still want more then its a chunk more money to get to 500 + properly.

A lot of owners go that way if they get problems with the OE twin turbos

Guest Becky
You might be surprised how quick you get used to 300 hp, when i bought my first TT which was stock i thought wow this is quick

but after a while you get the urge for more then up it to 400 which is a nice jump but you can still want more but then its a

chunk more money to get to 500 + properly

Aslong as i can overtake without taking ages on the wrong side of the road i will be happy. i think i would prefer a twin turbo as i love the noise of turbos! 400 is faster than most brand new 'sports' cars haha

A friend of mine called Josh actually asked me the same question yesterday about finance on a Supra... (didnt realise they done finance on older cars). he's always been a big german car fan so iv been trying to convert him to Jap for a while now (I think its working ;) )

Welcome :)

that would be me lol

I financed my very first Supra (a loooonnnngggg time ago!), if you have a deposit of say £2K and can get a personal loan for the rest I'd say it's not irresponsible.

The most import thing is getting a good one, unfortunately now at this age almost every car on ebay of autotrader is not only reasonably expensive but will almost certainly need some work doing immediately. Recruit anyone of your friends/family with car knowledge to help you. Great cars, but if you haven't got an open cheque book there is a chance they can hurt you financially. A Non turbo has less chance of doing that tbh, but a good TT will be reliable too just there are a fair few less than good ones out there. These can be fine if you are hands on and it's a second car if you are going to be throwing it at a garage for repairs then it can get expensive quickly.

Overall buy one but be patient and careful!

Who's to say what's right and wrong, but imo don't spend more than you have on anything in life other than a house. Keep saving for your car, and when you have the funds buy it.

Bills on these spiral these days, and if you can't afford to buy it I think you will struggle to maintain it.

If a loan is the way you choose to go (I know there is some good rates around) then be sure you will still have a couple of grand surplus each year for maintenance imo.

My latest supra I have spent nearly double what I paid for it, to get it to standard. And this year alone has been 4k on maintainence, and that would have been alot more if it wasn't for James Jefferson on here helping me massively to fit new vss.

Tread carefully imo, don't screw yourself over long term just to get your car.

Things to look out for as you have said you are not great with cars...

Crank pulley

Suspension bushes

Valve stem seals

Brakes

Turbo oil seals

Shocks

Water pump

Intercooler

Things such as vss would set you back around 700-1000 alone if they are gone an alot of tt supras need them now. Even small things like Crank pulley are 300 just for the pulley

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

No matter how you finance the car do your homework on each one you look at

At this age if you buy a TT it will unless already done either now or in the near future need

valve stem seals, replace

intercooler, replace

water rad, replace

coil packs, replace

coil pack connectors, replace

coil pack loom clips, replace

engine bay hoses, replace

heater matrix, replace, if you can get one, only aftermarket available now i think

brake calipers, rebuild or replace

suspension arms, re bush or replace, some are getting hard to buy genuine if not unavailable

turbo's, rebuild or replace with hybrids or go single

brake lines, replace

fuel lines, replace

crank pulley, replace

cam cover seals, replace

Pretty sure we can add to the list easily but this gives you an idea and its what i'd be asking a seller if any of the above have been replaced or rebuilt.

On top of that what regular servicing has been done, all fluids, plugs, belts etc

Also do the basic checks, pop the reg into here

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

and get its mot history which can be a good guide as to how well a cars been looked after

Welcome, get along to one of the local meets near you and have a good look around/meet some local members and I'm sure some will even take you out for a spin in one to see how you find it.

Where are you located? Also a rough budget would be handy to know

Guest Becky
I financed my very first Supra (a loooonnnngggg time ago!), if you have a deposit of say £2K and can get a personal loan for the rest I'd say it's not irresponsible.

The most import thing is getting a good one, unfortunately now at this age almost every car on ebay of autotrader is not only reasonably expensive but will almost certainly need some work doing immediately. Recruit anyone of your friends/family with car knowledge to help you. Great cars, but if you haven't got an open cheque book there is a chance they can hurt you financially. A Non turbo has less chance of doing that tbh, but a good TT will be reliable too just there are a fair few less than good ones out there. These can be fine if you are hands on and it's a second car if you are going to be throwing it at a garage for repairs then it can get expensive quickly.

Overall buy one but be patient and careful!

Thank you for the advice! im glad i wont be the first person to do it! im guessing yours turned out well? :) it will be a 2nd car. Im not very hands on, i mean i can change a wheel over... and maybe the odd few bits here and there but nothing like what ive seen on some of the pictures on here :blink: hopefully i will learn how to do most things! :) x

Guest Becky
Don't finance, get a loan cheaper and quicker repayments. If at all avoid debt together :)

Thanks for the advice! :) i was looking at bank loans but... im guessing due to me regularly going into an unarranged overdraft, my % pay back is crazy!

Guest Becky
Who's to say what's right and wrong, but imo don't spend more than you have on anything in life other than a house. Keep saving for your car, and when you have the funds buy it.

Bills on these spiral these days, and if you can't afford to buy it I think you will struggle to maintain it.

If a loan is the way you choose to go (I know there is some good rates around) then be sure you will still have a couple of grand surplus each year for maintenance imo.

My latest supra I have spent nearly double what I paid for it, to get it to standard. And this year alone has been 4k on maintainence, and that would have been alot more if it wasn't for James Jefferson on here helping me massively to fit new vss.

Tread carefully imo, don't screw yourself over long term just to get your car.

Things to look out for as you have said you are not great with cars...

Crank pulley

Suspension bushes

Valve stem seals

Brakes

Turbo oil seals

Shocks

Water pump

Intercooler

Things such as vss would set you back around 700-1000 alone if they are gone an alot of tt supras need them now. Even small things like Crank pulley are 300 just for the pulley

/QUOTE]

Oh wow... i wasnt expecting that! why did you decide to go back to standard if you dont mind me asking? :) I think for those prices i would rather save up that have to spend all that :( unless i come across some that are well known to be reliable etc? :) x

Guest Becky
No matter how you finance the car do your homework on each one you look at

At this age if you buy a TT it will unless already done either now or in the near future need

valve stem seals, replace

intercooler, replace

water rad, replace

coil packs, replace

coil pack connectors, replace

coil pack loom clips, replace

engine bay hoses, replace

heater matrix, replace, if you can get one, only aftermarket available now i think

brake calipers, rebuild or replace

suspension arms, re bush or replace, some are getting hard to buy genuine if not unavailable

turbo's, rebuild or replace with hybrids or go single

brake lines, replace

fuel lines, replace

crank pulley, replace

cam cover seals, replace

Pretty sure we can add to the list easily but this gives you an idea and its what i'd be asking a seller if any of the above have been replaced or rebuilt.

On top of that what regular servicing has been done, all fluids, plugs, belts etc

Also do the basic checks, pop the reg into here

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

and get its mot history which can be a good guide as to how well a cars been looked after

Well from that i would definitely need to get someone (if not a few people) to go have a look with me! There are a few supras that i have seen around where live. Im hoping to pump into one someday to maybe ask for a little ride! :D

Guest Becky
Welcome, get along to one of the local meets near you and have a good look around/meet some local members and I'm sure some will even take you out for a spin in one to see how you find it.

Where are you located? Also a rough budget would be handy to know

I will definitely keep my eye out for some local car meets. I did go to one a couple of months ago and that was amazing.. i couldn't stay long but i will definitely stay longer next time :)

I live mid west. Near south wales. but im not to bothered on getting a lift up or down the country to find a beautiful car! :love: