The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Exhaust manifoil, turbo problem...

Busemannen

Hi, I got a tear in the walls of the housing of the first turbo on my Supra TT JDM '96. I've tried to get a second hand turbo to exchange, but out of 8-9 turbos i found noone with 4 bolts. All of them got 3 bolts turbos. I have tried to figure out as to why i have 4 bolts... But It's no information anywhere... Can someone inform me of any facts regarding 3 bolt vs 4 bolt? If I get a manifoil with 3 bolts mounting, will I be able to use 3 bolts turbos instead? I've come across a complete package with the twins, and the housings inbetween, bur the were no exhaust control valve on that one. and the diameter of the exhaust opening was much smaller, The place where the atuator normally would connect, were welded with a plate blocking the hole, so I guess It's ment for True twin turbo operation... It also lack the exhaust back tube that is used for the pre-spool... Is there anyone with any knowledge of this issue?

I'll have a look in my stache of old turbos, I might have a core that's UK type and re-buildable, but don't hold your breath. remind me by e-mail please ;) If you swap out to J-Spec (which are a better turbo...) you will need a different front cat or front de-cat pipe. You will also need to block off the EGR port.

I'll have a look in my stache of old turbos, I might have a core that's UK type and re-buildable, but don't hold your breath. remind me by e-mail please ;) If you swap out to J-Spec (which are a better turbo...) you will need a different front cat or front de-cat pipe. You will also need to block off the EGR port.

But I also got the exhaust pipe that gives pre-spool to turbo no 2. I got hold of a set of turbos, but those were 3 bolts, and there was no Exhaust Gas Control valve. Just a welded plate on the pipe. I didn't actually check if they would fit if I exchanged the whole package because I was hoping to swap turbo nr. 1. I later found that the Exhaust gas control valve in my car was forces open by a bolt that was welded on to the actuator arm and one of the bolts that holds the bracket... So I've driven the car with that valve open, always, in almost one years time... I were under the impression that in order to get the full benefits from sequential turbos, all 4 valves had to work as they were ment to?

It's difficult through words alone to make out exactly what is going on.

The 4 bolt and 3 bolt difference is definitely a Euro spec vs J spec thing so yes it does look like your car had Euro turbo's. If it is a J spec then the Euro turbo's will have had to have a few blanking plates etc added.

The J spec 'should' just go on if you fit everything including the manifold, you may need a different 1st cat/decat pipe.

I'll put up a few links to the sequential system. I think pictures would help those on here with more knowledge assist you further.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?27904-Sequential-turbo-problems

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?35926-The-sequential-system

First time I've ever read that.

The J specs have some (advanced for their time) metal matric composite on the exhaust side of the turbo for lightness and strength (up to a point!) that give faster spooling, so better the performance sense.

Chris W can be quite scathing of UK's and their slightly lazier spool

The J specs have some (advanced for their time) metal matric composite on the exhaust side of the turbo for lightness and strength (up to a point!) that give faster spooling, so better the performance sense.

Chris W can be quite scathing of UK's and their slightly lazier spool

And their propensity to wear out faster and smoke like hell :)

It's difficult through words alone to make out exactly what is going on.

The 4 bolt and 3 bolt difference is definitely a Euro spec vs J spec thing so yes it does look like your car had Euro turbo's. If it is a J spec then the Euro turbo's will have had to have a few blanking plates etc added.

The J spec 'should' just go on if you fit everything including the manifold, you may need a different 1st cat/decat pipe.

I'll put up a few links to the sequential system. I think pictures would help those on here with more knowledge assist you further.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?27904-Sequential-turbo-problems

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?35926-The-sequential-system

Thanks for the answere....

The set of turbos with 3 bolts did not have any EGCV valve and actuator. Just a plate where the hole would be... Would it be possible to get them to work in sequential mode without a EGCV?

Thx to you guys for clearing up this topic... I'll stop looking for JDM turbos w/4 bolts, and instead try to get an eurospec second hand turbo w/4 bolts... I'm hoping to get the car on the road again as soon as I find a turbo, bacause the clock is ticking and time is running out, and every day without driving is a torture....