The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Having both the original oil cooler and external oil cooler. Any reason to have both?

Mgrene

Evening Forum.

Recently bought myself a new Supra and are right now doing some maintanence work.

I noticed that the original oil cooler and an external oil cooler is mounted. Should I keep it that way or does it make a difference if i removede the original cooler.

My plan is to relocate the oil filter so while I'm doing that I might as well remove the original oil cooler.

Any thoughts.

The only real way to awnser this is to install an oil temp sensor and monitor the logs with the system as is versus your proposed changes.

For a high horse power build I would say that you need as much oil cooling as you can give it.

I guess my real question is.

If I keep the oem oil cooler can I then settle with a smaller aftermarket oil cooler?

/QUOTE]

When you say oe oil cooler , you are referring to the water cooled oil filter housing , with or without you will not see an impact worth noticing

My car is running 900 bhp so don't think it is a good idea to remove the external oil cooler?

/QUOTE]

Ideally normal temp is 95-110 , and 130 for short periods , generally hp is lost over 115

But with advancements in oil technology , an oil cooler is not required for a street car

If under hard driving conditions the oil is regularly in excess of 120 degrees I would recommend an oil cooler , if under normal driving conditions, oil is in excess of 140 , fit an oil cooler , if it stays around 110-120 full throttle for a few miles , wasting you time and adding complexity to the system

Cold oil ruins engines , if you are running an oil cooler a thermostat is a must for a road car , but running too cold an oil around 85 is no good either , components will not be protected

One final question though.

This adapter is right now fitted with both a pressure and temp. sensor. I am going to replace those sensors with new ones. Is it irrelevant where the temp. sensor is plugged in. I mean, wil there on one side be the hot oil and the cold on the other side due to it has gone through the aftermarket cooler.