The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tiptronic buying advice

tayr

Hi guys

JM have a nice black tiptronic for sale that I'm interested in viewing.

It's got 112,000 miles on it at present.

What's people's thoughts on those who have owned a tip, are they fun? I like the idea of having the options of manual and auto but are they much slower than manual

It is also VVTI - are there enough people Around who can service them and can they take the BPU without any issues?

Sorry for the questions but he is 6 hours away from me and don't want to waste his time

Thanks

T

I only wanted a manual when I was looking, unfortunately my budget didn't stretch to one. I bought a really clean Tiptronic and haven't regretted for a single day, I love it, auto is perfect when you can't be arsed to change gears or around town. And the manual mode I always use when diving quickly it works really well imo.

I would try it out I love mine.

They're great mate, very good boxes and a number of people are running single turbos too with them. They can't take as much power as Getrags and can become difficult to map too if going single. BPU is absolutely fine though.

Servicing is pretty much the same as Auto and Manuals given they're still a Supra!

Good luck.

They're great mate, very good boxes and a number of people are running single turbos too with them. They can't take as much power as Getrags and can become difficult to map too if going single. BPU is absolutely fine though.

Servicing is pretty much the same as Auto and Manuals given they're still a Supra!

Good luck.

/QUOTE]

Can I still get good power out of it with the standard twins? Ideally I'd like to get it sub 5 seconds with BPU

Will that be possible?

Can I still get good power out of it with the standard twins? Ideally I'd like to get it sub 5 seconds with BPU

Will that be possible?

Yes without a shadow of a doubt mate.

BPU will set you around 400 and providing you have recent rubber and suspension you'll beat 5 if launching properly.

They're cracking cars and I was really surprised at how nice the gearbox is.

Owned one and in BPU set up they are possibly the best Supra set up for day to day use and reliability

- - - Updated - - -

Sub 5 seconds... ignore my advice I am out

How come?? Is it that they pull more in the mid range?

I basically want a rocket which leaves people stunned on the motorway

School holidays again?

Don't really know what you're referring to here. I drive a e92 M3 DCT at the moment which is just over 4 seconds so is a good way for me to try and gauge how quick it will feel

As above it's my first supra and so I'm simply asking for advice and am happy to be corrected or informed

Dont let this negativity including mine be a reason to leave the questioning, in fact it is why I stayed around. A BPU Supra will be about 400 BHP given the spec of your conversion, it is still possible to get 440 BHP if you push the envelope a bit and how you drive it will give a good 0-60 but there are a lot of factors on how to improve this time.

Owning an M3 already I would say you would be surprised on the power delivery (turbo V NA) but overall speed/power is not going to be significantly different

Dont let this negativity including mine be a reason to leave the questioning, in fact it is why I stayed around. A BPU Supra will be about 400 BHP given the spec of your conversion, it is still possible to get 440 BHP if you push the envelope a bit and how you drive it will give a good 0-60 but there are a lot of factors on how to improve this time.

Owning an M3 already I would say you would be surprised on the power delivery (turbo V NA) but overall speed/power is not going to be significantly different

At the end of the day, everyone has to start learning somewhere (it's knowing what exactly to search for also)

I really appreciate the advice so thank you -! I take it from parts I've already seen on this forum that the supra isn't really looked at as a general 0-60 car but more as an overall kick up the ass when the turbos come in that really puts a smile on your face

The m3 is a good fun car to drive however I feel it lacks that smile factor. I will however be keeping both cars but trying to get an understanding of what to expect from these cars as have never been in one.

How come?? Is it that they pull more in the mid range?

I basically want a rocket which leaves people stunned on the motorway

A bpu tiptronic will do this, from a stand still is not exactly a Supra's forte (still good mind) but mid range is great and it's not really disadvantaged from only having 4 speeds.

Research the kick down issue with tiptronics that have had their 112mph limit or removed.

I think sub 5 secs 0-60mph has been recorded.

I had one at BPU and I couldn't fault it, as someone has mentioned best set up for day to day driving.

Don't let the 4 gears put you off. I didn't have a problem running wise either, so I can recommend it mate. If you got other little questions just gimme a shout :)

I miss mine so much I want to get back into a Supra now. :D

They are easier to live with than the 6 speed are just as easy to look after as a normal Auto HOWEVER I was annoyed nobody pointed out that VVTI Tiptronics are limited to the end of 3rd gear 130mph or so as the Gearbox gets confused as opposed to the pre facelift Auto that will keep going through 4th.

Also there is no shop manual for a VVTI in English or one that I have found so electrical gremlins can be troublesome.

Never had mine Dyno checked yet but It's a hell of a lot Punchier than a friends 409bhp pre facelift Supra if that helps.