The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1995 Toyota Supra RZ-S Auto - *I Bought it*

Philip

Hello everyone! I've just signed up today as I am hopefully going to purchase my first Supra this weekend. I'm no stranger to Japanese Imports I've had everything from the 90's era worth having apart from a Supra (As I've never been able to find one!). I'll not bore you with my history but safe to say if someone gave me the details of and Impreza/Evo/Skyline etc I would know exactly what to value it at but I am at a total loss here!

The car is question isn't technically for sale, but an older gentlemen that I know through my father is thinking of selling his Supra which he has owned for ages. He's into them a bit and has had a few in the past. I've done a bit of digging around and prices seem to be all over the place, so I have no idea what to offer him! I was looking your help, he said he would leave it up to me to decide but I want to make sure that I'm getting a good deal and that he is getting a fair price for a hassle-free cash sale without advertising.

The car is a:

1995 Toyota Supra RZ-S Import (He didn't know this, I found it via my usual Jap HPI Check that I use) I believe it's essentially the base model. It was built 08/1995.

Imported in 2004

Completely Standard. This is why I've never bought one before, I hate the big silly bodykits etc. This is, as far as I can see, totally unmodified.

Rust Free

Excellent Condition

86,000 Miles (Loads of Jap History and MOTs to backup miles - he hasn't read through it but I there is a possibility it could actially be KM which would be incredible :blink: either way the miles are low enough)

Anyway, enough of my ranting on! What do you think it be worth? Oh, it's an AUTO by the way.

Thanks,

Philip.

Edited by Philip (see edit history)

£10000 - £12000 I'd say.

Is it defiantly an RZ-S? If it is it should have bigger brakes, recaro seats, and possibly an LSD. Although I think the LSD was standard on the 6 speeds and an optional extra on the auto models.

That's what it says on the CarVX.JP check. It doesn't have the Recaro seats I dont think? I thought the RS-Z a less desirable model, is this not the case?

- - - Updated - - -

You mention Jap history and MOT's, what about service history? Photos would also be a great help.

He's going to bring me all the paperwork tommorow. He has folder full of receipts for the service work etc. So I will get a good look through it.

Don't see many TT's below £10K now and don't think you'll import a clean one of that mileage for less. You are in quite a fortunate position to locate a car like this and get a unhindered view/sale but I'd hate to be in your position as to pricing it! I'd try and get your Dad to try and eek out of him what he's roughly looking at getting?

Looks nice from those photo's, get it bought one way or another ;)

As far as I know Recaro seats were always an optional extra and never standard fit. It seems no one really knows for sure what the difference is between a RZ and a RZ-S but general consensus seems to coalesce around bigger brakes and genuine yellow bilstein shocks though my 96 TT6 had yellow billsteins and the smaller brakes. I think you'd need to ask Toyota for a definitive if anyone is still there who remembers back that far.

The colour was very popular back in the 90's so there are a lot of original silver cars and that reflects in the price. Seeing the insurance market value for TT6's is £12k you wouldn't want to be buying an auto for near to that figure. If he wants to sell then £8k is reasonable, if you want to buy then £10k is reasonable and for insurance add on couple of grand if you go for agreed insurance value cover. Be worth checking with any insurer you plan using what they have as the market value for the car and that'll at least give you a (probably low) reference point to work from.

Went and had a quick five minutes viewing as it was parked up. It has the active front spoiler which is a nice touch and for being 1995 it's pretty damn clean! Doesn't seem to have any issues with rust all arches good etc. Hopefully a deal will be done tommorow he still has no idea on price, though!

• 2 weeks later...

So just a quick update to say I bought it! I have a had it a while and after a multiple day detail (I prefer to do all my own work in that regard) and a set of 17 inch Supra rims (sourced on eBay) it is ready! Stuck my number plate on too.

Few photos below:

https://rmsmotoring.com/forum/attachments/dsc_0004-jpg.151029/

https://rmsmotoring.com/forum/attachments/dsc_0005-jpg.151030/

https://rmsmotoring.com/forum/attachments/dsc_0007-jpg.151031/

https://rmsmotoring.com/forum/attachments/dsc_0009-jpg.151032/

https://rmsmotoring.com/forum/attachments/dsc_0010-jpg.151033/

On the lookout for a LSD and a set of new headlights, or I may just split them and refurbish what is on there already.

Edited by Philip (see edit history)