The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front Upper Suspension Control Arms (I need new ones)

CarlM

Hi,

I've been advised that my front upper suspension arms have movement in the bushes and ball joints, therefore need placing

I've had a quick look online and seen these from Import Car Parts at £168

https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts-info?id=9712&cat=89&sub=1354&sec=1562&var=38&dc=0&gen=&searchKey=&searchPart=

And then these from Driftworks at £200

https://www.driftworks.com/driftworks-front-upper-camber-arms-jza80-supra.html

I found the OEM ones on Whifbitz for £642

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/toyota-870.html

What are you guys replacing them with, when required? Is OEM the way to go? Will the OEM arms eventually become unavailable?

Cheers for any advice!

Thanks,

Carl

Is OEM the way to go?

Depends if you want to keep your car original. It's said the aftermarket ones make the ride much harsher without the softer OEM rubber bushes, as you'd expect. Also some after market ones are better than others.

Will the OEM arms eventually become unavailable?

Yes. Or just too darn expensive.

I went with new OEM as they are proven to last 20+ years, I didn't think you could get OEM anymore as they are discontinued.

I've always been dubious of the quality of the bushes and ball joint in aftermarket stuff.

And there in lies the problem, who can you trust?

Just for reference you can get new OEM arms. I ordered all the front suspension from Paul at TCB on Friday at just under £2k just that included new ABS wheel sensors, all bolts and washers etc and diff mounts. Stupidly expensive but worth it I guess.

Best speak to Paul at TCB mate regarding OEM parts he'll get you a good price.

Littlenum runs the Driftworks ones with good results and hard track use so definitely worth looking at them. They've been faultless for him.

Some prices from TCB following my order.....

48610-19025 Front Upper Arm – RH –Genuine Toyota £225.64 each + VAT (Japan 2 Weeks) or Hardrace Camber (Hardened Rubber arms are £279.20 Pair + VAT)

48630-19025 Front Upper Arm – LH –Genuine Toyota £225.64 each + VAT (Japan 2 Weeks) or Hardrace Camber (Hardened Rubber arms are £279.20 Pair + VAT)

48610G Nut for front upper suspension arm RH –^Genuine Toyota £1.43 each + VAT (2 Days)

48630C Nut for front upper suspension arm LH -^Genuine Toyota £1.43 each + VAT (2 Days)

4*90209 14007 std part, washer –^Genuine Toyota £6.41 each + VAT (Japan 2 Weeks)

48610F Bolt for front upper suspension arm RH –^Genuine Toyota £10.50 each + VAT (3 days)

48630B Bolt for front upper suspension arm LH -^Genuine Toyota £10.50 each + VAT (3 days)

Front Lower:

48068-14080 Front Lower Arm sub assy – RH –^Genuine Toyota £179.88 + VAT (In Stock)

48069-14080 Front Lower Arm sub assy – LH -^Genuine Toyota £179.88 + VAT (In Stock)

2* 90468 16016 std part, castle nut binder –Genuine Toyota £2.04 each + VAT (2 Days)

2* 48068G Nut for front suspension lower arm RH –^Genuine Toyota £1.38 each + VAT (2 Days)

2* 48069C Nut for front suspension lower arm LH –^Genuine Toyota £1.38 each + VAT (2 Days)

4* 90201 16017 std part, washer –^Genuine Toyota £1.19 each + VAT (2 Days)

2* 48194D Cam, front suspension camber adjust No2 RH –^Genuine Toyota £11.69 each + VAT (3 Days) or Genuine Toyota £9.77 each (Japan 2 Weeks)

2* 48198D Cam, front suspension camber adjust No2 LH –^Genuine Toyota £11.69 each + VAT (3 Days) or Genuine Toyota £9.77 each (Japan 2 Weeks)

2* 48657A Stopper, front lower arm bush –Genuine Toyota £16.41 each + VAT (Japan 2 Weeks)

2* 48194C Cam, front suspension camber adjust No1 RH –^Genuine Toyota £19.81 each + VAT (3 Days) or Genuine Toyota £14.15 each + VAT (Japan 2 Weeks)

2* 48198C Cam, front suspension camber adjust No1 LH -^Genuine Toyota £15.06 each + VAT (2 Days)

2* 95622 11200 std part, washer –^Genuine Toyota £1.71 each + VAT (2 Days)

2* 90170 12036 std part, nut –^Genuine Toyota £1.76 each + VAT (2 Days)

Optimal a German company makes these, see links below, I bought a pair after some research but there is mixed opinions on here re their quality.....although no one can really know!?

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/optimal/7575023

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Car-Control-Arms-Parts/Optimal-G6-823-Track-Control-Arm/B004OU8UB8

Thanks Scooter, these look like a good alternative!

I went with new OEM as they are proven to last 20+ years, I didn't think you could get OEM anymore as they are discontinued.

I've always been dubious of the quality of the bushes and ball joint in aftermarket stuff.

Good point, the ones on my car have lasted 23 years, therefore if I get new OEM ones, they should last just as long :)

Some prices from TCB following my order.....

48610-19025 Front Upper Arm – RH –Genuine Toyota £225.64 each + VAT (Japan 2 Weeks) or Hardrace Camber (Hardened Rubber arms are £279.20 Pair + VAT)

48630-19025 Front Upper Arm – LH –Genuine Toyota £225.64 each + VAT (Japan 2 Weeks) or Hardrace Camber (Hardened Rubber arms are £279.20 Pair + VAT)

Thanks for the info Sheefa, nice to know these parts are still currently available from TCB and how much they cost

Just one thing i thought i'd mention is how old are these new OEM parts ? i've bought parts for my RRC restoration that

are new never used but were made 20 + years ago.

Just in case that affects the rubber bushes or the boot on the ball joint due to age, like it does on tyres :)

In my searches I found these Chinese parts! prices are stupidly cheap, you have to buy in bulk, and whilst I'm not suggesting we buy them these will be finding their way into the market somewhere and who knows how much markup!? I wonder if anyone here has access to a fatigue and destructive testing rig!

http://www.miparts.com/cat_control-arm_46_toyota_39_g_supra_476

Just one thing i thought i'd mention is how old are these new OEM parts ? i've bought parts for my RRC restoration that

are new never used but were made 20 + years ago.

Just in case that affects the rubber bushes or the boot on the ball joint due to age, like it does on tyres :)

Good point Dunk. My OEM stuff came fully sealed though individually and they look perfect with excellent movement. Doubt there's any real deterioration from them sitting there if well maintained and away from the elements etc, not that I know for sure.

My concern would be how they failed, if it was just wear appearing in the ball joint or

bushes then maybe but if the weak link is in the arm itself i'm not sure id risk it as you

could end up losing a corner completely which would lead to a potentially bad crash

It's interesting as anyone who has held a stock front lower arm can attest to it being a hefty chunk of steel.

It has a couple of sharp angles, near the rear bush and by the ball joint that would be stress raisers and where the material looks thinner. So it depends on the quality of steel and casting and if either/both are poorer then it starts to come down to how much headroom/safety margin Toyota designed in, assuming these 'copies' are the same dimensions.

If the Toyota arms had loads of safety margin (how do they fair in write offs - Keron/anyone?) built in then a poorer made copy might still be fine, but I imagine even getting material specs from miparts or Toyota would be next to impossible?

Personally, as they are such a main component in the suspension I would not risk it despite how cheap they are.

As said, it's not about the wear quality its more the strength of the arm that concerns me the most. You never know they could be absolutely fine, but who will/would be the first to try at their risk.

That much for genuine arms?? Wow. You can get bushes separately, ball joints Im not sure.

Tried Amayama? Or Blueprint? Or your Toyota dealer?

You can get aftermarket black bushes for the front and rear arms for about £150 plus shipping and taxes but it appears from references on the US Supra forum that the ball joints are not able to be replaced. Presumably they are crimped into position rather than pressed into the arm.

In my searches I found these Chinese parts! prices are stupidly cheap, you have to buy in bulk, and whilst I'm not suggesting we buy them these will be finding their way into the market somewhere and who knows how much markup!? I wonder if anyone here has access to a fatigue and destructive testing rig!

http://www.miparts.com/cat_control-arm_46_toyota_39_g_supra_476

You have to be careful with the Chinese parts site as possible scam sites and also potentially the quality of materials used in stress bearing components. The Miparts site is registered to ROOM 705 OFFICE BUILDING DEEP BLUE PLAZA NO.205 CHAOHUI ROAD. Leaves you wondering what comes out of room 704.