The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GTE head on a GE block.. whats needed?

HarleyFDMD

I know this isn't a particularly common thing to do, i guess primarily because GTE heads dont come up for sale very often but im sure they're atleast a couple of people that have done it?

I just need to know exactly whats required.

So far i have:

Gte head

Ge block

Gte engine loom

Brand new gte coils + clips

Arp head studs

I know i need the drive gear that i believe sits behind the crank pulley but is there anything else? Any help would be appreciated!

This is the thread i followed back in the day when i had my na-t

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?225971-NA-to-TT-Conversion-TT-head-swap-info

Theres quite a bit to it

The people i spoke to back in the day when i was doing the same had used the TT pistons/rods in the GE block too, as mounting the GTE head and GTE headgasket onto a GE block the compression is still not ideal

In the end it made more sense for me to use the GE head and convert to coilpack etc

I believe the GE head actually flows slightly better anyway

This is the thread i followed back in the day when i had my na-t

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?225971-NA-to-TT-Conversion-TT-head-swap-info

Theres quite a bit to it

The people i spoke to back in the day when i was doing the same had used the TT pistons/rods in the GE block too, as mounting the GTE head and GTE headgasket onto a GE block the compression is still not ideal

In the end it made more sense for me to use the GE head and convert to coilpack etc

I believe the GE head actually flows slightly better anyway

This is what I'm doing but with a vvti head so i can make it look like the gte. Forged rods and pistons, plus a standalone ecu. I've been running coilpacks for ages but struggled to find a dizzy cover and it looked horrendous.

The closest you will get to the real deal is to get the following:

• 2JZGTE Crank Sprocket & Crank Sensor
  • 2JZ GTE Oil Pump
    (The GE spring does not fit into a GTE pump from my own testing. GTE oil pump uses two springs. I'm currently about to test the pressure differences between running both and removing one whilst in use on a GE block, so can confirm correct way to proceed regarding this in my build thread soon, as people have said that GTE oil pump will push too high oil pressure on GE block due to differences in oil galleries/squirters.
  • 2JZGTE Cooalnt Pump, Upper Coolant Neck & Coolant Bypass tube.
  • 2JZGTE Coolant hard lines
  • 2JZGTE Oil Filter Housing/Oil Cooler
  • 2JZGTE Inlet side coolant outlet from block
  • 2JZGTE Pistons & OEM Headgasket

Other than that you will need a long oil feed line to go from the inlet side of the engine where the oil ports are, around to your single. You may need to think of a more creative oil feed option if you plan on running twins

I've just been working on a supra that has been converted using the above, and it made over 600hp with a 6262 without any issues of knocking. So long as the building process is done correctly and the tune is done using a standalone by a good tuner then I don't see why there is any issue with this route.