The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Viewing my first supra

liamc111

I'm off to look at my first tt6 on Wednesday at jm imports. I've printed off the buying guides from the forum to take with me whilst I'm checking the car over.

It's been in the country for a year so some on here may know it?

http://jm-imports.co.uk/index.php/1994-toyota-supra-rz-6-speed-manual-430-bhp-hybrid-turbos/

This is the car in question, I've already sent a pm to keron to see if he has a standard bumper, I'm just waiting for a reply.

Is there anything else that I should be keeping an eye out for whilst I'm viewing it?

Thanks

Looks nice enough, well worth checking the heater gets nice and hot as at this time of year it's often overlooked.

If it's full bpu and you've not seen/driven another then be prepared for any doubts to take a back seat! You could get/look at far worse, if it's only been over here a year i'd expect it to look pretty good underneath, at the rear check the fuel guard and look up at the diff and rear subframe, the more black vs rust ratio the better, but to be honest very few are very rusty, it's just nicer the less rust.

May be ask where the hybrid turbo's where from/fitted, they can sometimes not last at well as originals, also they might be a tad laggy although with full bpu and it being manual I doubt it makes any real world difference.

Thanks for your reply scooter. The hybrids were supplied by whifbits along with all the other bpu parts and we're fitted by jm imports 122km ago apparently. I was told the owners lost his job and that's the reason for sale.

I'll be the lookout for rust after the floor pretty much fell out of my s14. And it'll get any needed protection straight away.

I doubt it'll have anything but light surface rust, any form of perforation rust even welding sill sections etc is very very rare.

Best of luck, the selection of manuals for sale is very limited these days and everyone seems to know it now and price things accordingly, pre facelift manuals are arguably the most hardy/over engineered Supra's, facelift's are definitely preferred looks wise but there were definite cost cuttings made not to any really significant level or anything that important but they are there.

Get them to put it on the ramp for you so you can have a proper look at the underside, take a torch with you, the mot ran out 2 June

Have a look at the front cross member under the radiator, they're prone to rotting but not to hard to fix and check over the rest of the car like you would any other

Nearside spat doesn't look like its been fitted very well

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Why do I get a load of password authentication boxes telling me I need to call some number to get my PC unlocked when I click the images?

In firefox I get the same browser hijack when I click on any of the images, I can view them ok but it opens another window with a fake 'virus alert'. Doesnt happen when browsing in chrome.