The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking for advice.

Guest NJT73

Guest NJT73

Hi, as im new and not yet a Supra owner ( looking to be around next spring ) im looking for some advice. This is probably going to be a " how longs a piece of string" question but i would like to plan a budget. What are the pro and cons of imports against a project that i could put my own mark on? I would prefer TT 1995 onwards, not fussed manual or auto,hard top and bigger brakes preferrable.I can do mechanical work and bodywork/respray. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

If you are after a blank canvas that is close to stock as a starting point and relatively rust free then its going to be a jap import that fits the bill. You can look a jap auction sites but if you appoint an agent you'll need the best part of £17k for a TT auto and £25k for a TT6 these days. Prices are rising in Japan so unless the £ rises then those prices are likely to be higher by 15% come next Spring.

Guest NJT73

Thanks for your reply, i will definitely look into jap auction site. Are there any in particular you could point me in the direction of ? I just looked at your Supra, a clean and tidy example, was that an import?

You can pick them up. Already over here. Pros would.be a blank canvas you can make it to what you want. As rider said 17k to 25k if you go through importing. 10k - 25kto get one already over here.

I took mine as a project and wish I had bought a already running example. But I've made it into what I wanted. Though I couldn't do it myself as I don't have the room or the knowledge to do it without confidence. So if you can do.it all yourself it's probably the cheaper option to buy a project but also a longer one.

Took overy 2 years to get mine running mainly due to money though. And SRD have done an amazing job and would recommend them 10 fold.

Building your own from a project adds sol to it. Knowing you've made it what it is. An achievement in itself.

The saying of built not bought.

Import sites I suggest going onto jmiports websire and checking the auction websites that they have listed on there website.

All the best in your search.

Edited by Hitbox Junkie (see edit history)

My car is an import, came over in 1998. The first UK owner had it for 6 month and I have had it ever since. You'll get less rust on a car that has run 20 years in Japan rather than 20 years in the UK. As with all cars you can get good ones and there are always plenty of not so good ones. The importers tend to say find a car you like the look of and they will make the enquiries unless its an auction car in which case its go off the condition report prepared for the auction.

If doing a fresh import then reasonable and kosher sites to browse are

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/TOYOTA/SUPRA/summary.html

And UK based importers

http://jm-imports.co.uk/

http://torque-gt.co.uk/