The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Take the plunge and come back to a Supra?!?

Calzo21

Been over 2 and half years now since I sold my Supra.

Went full stupid and got a MB CLA on finance, my reasons then was money. I couldn't afford to run it and needed something take to take me to A and B but when B is a lot further away. :sly:

Back then fuel prices were at peak in country at 145.9/L within months of selling fuel price plummeted. :tongue:

Couple that with the appreciation of Supras in the past year or 2 and I'm gutwrenched.

Back then I sold my VVTi at the average going rate of £8500, so when I see them now for upto £15K for a spanking one, I'm gutted!

I'm now at the stage in my contract where my dealer is starting to offering early trade in deals, but something that puts me off is since having it I've joined the Forces, dealer doesn't do Military discount so it's not pulling me in to get another and while the Benz is great fuel wise, got 3 years free servicing, obviously no MOTs etc so I can't fault it but..

And it's a big but... it's just not a Supra, and I miss owning it, driving it, looking at it!

I feel out of touch driving such an automated machine, it has its perks and it does get some attention on base. But it's not a real car.

Do I take the plunge and come back to the light?! :search:

Good on you.

Not easy to find a good one these days for a competitive price unless you look long and hard. Ones that do come up on here are snapped up in no time.

Going rate for a manual 6spd TT is around £16k-£18k now.

Have you a budget and preference in mind?

Good on you.

Not easy to find a good one these days for a competitive price unless you look long and hard. Ones that do come up on here are snapped up in no time.

Going rate for a manual 6spd TT is around £16k-£18k now.

Have you a budget and preference in mind?

/QUOTE]

Thanks man!

Yeah tell me about it! Just today I've missed out, a silver TT6 went for £14250 from a guy on here that had it on PH.

Speaking of budgets is hard as I'd basically have to loan on the Benz to pay MB totally off to then sell to get some money back to then pay off the loan..breath.. to then get another to get Supra. Massively long winded, but I don't want to hand the Benz back and walk away, when there is a chance of getting my deposit back, if that makes sense! Haha

I'd say £15K Max 16K absolute toppers so I am scraping for TT6 sadly.

But I did see an Aero auto on the classifieds for £14500 which looks good though mate.

Prices have gone silly in the last 12 months and there is little reflection on condition in these prices, these cars are getting old now and parts are becoming an issue, I dont see me coming back to Supra's unless a nice NA Auto in black comes about as a toy but I cant bring myself to pay £6,000 for one so I dont see it happening

Prices have gone silly in the last 12 months and there is little reflection on condition in these prices, these cars are getting old now and parts are becoming an issue, I dont see me coming back to Supra's unless a nice NA Auto in black comes about as a toy but I cant bring myself to pay £6,000 for one so I dont see it happening

Yeah I've noticed that, seeing some that isn't mint condition on price with what was a mint condition price a couple years ago. :(

I guess that's another reason to come back though, do it before it is too late. Till when they are scarce and parts even more so.

I would be maybe go NA manual, but only if it was in seriously good condition. To then make a little project of getting a TT dropped in.

Think maybe wait till Oct - Nov when prices are usually cheaper and get a TT auto? Better spending money on that than transplanting?

Could be worth that doing that :)

Like I've said previously, there is a TT auto Aero on here going for £13K only 20 miles from me, seriously tempted to get the ball rolling. :innocent:

I took a loan to get one along with my saving since I was 10. Splitting from the ex and spending my saving's.

Best decision ever now 2half years later it's now fixed. And I'm enjoying it.

Do it just do it. Life is to short to not follow your dream's and feel good

Driving the supra as you know is something in its own right. The enjoyment you get from it.

It's well worth it. :)

Edited by Hitbox Junkie (see edit history)

I took a loan to get one along with my saving since I was 10. Splitting from the ex and spending my saving's.

Best decision ever now 2half years later it's now fixed. And I'm enjoying it.

Do it just do it. Life is to short to not follow your dream's and feel good

Driving the supra as you know is something in its own right. The enjoyment you get from it.

It's well worth it. :)

You are right and it's the reason I got one in the first place because I thought screw it, life's for living. Then I met my now fiancé hahahah!

I'm now teasing the idea to her as long as she gets her Mini I think she will succumb to the idea, she still thinks I'm crazy but who cares haha

Is it better with the roof off I take it??

The car does look well looked after and done up too so I don't really need to touch it unless further down the line I want a manual in it :innocent: :D

What you guys think of it?? I've found him on Facebook marketplace going for £13K

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?342009-Supra-tt-auto-aerotop-convertion-14k

It's not a true GTE if that matters to you at all? Not sure how that will show on any resale value.

Engine bay needs a bit of work doing to it imo. Mainly cosmetic but that awful intake pipe and cone filter need removing and putting back to stock. I'd also get shot of that radiator and put it back to stock with the fan shroud and top rubber hose.

As has already been mentioned, these cars are getting old now and parts are becoming an issue in both cost and availability. There is no mention of service history or preventative maintenance being carried out.

For piece of mind i'd give it a thorough service and change all fluids along with the crank shaft pulley too.

- How old are the hybrids, who built them and when?

- What seals were replaced and were they replaced with OEM?

- Are the new coil packs OEM?

- Is the new tensioner OEM or some cheap ebay/Chinese jobbie?

- What parts of the body work could do with some attention?

- Does the aero roof leak?

- What does the underside look like?

E2A

Hopefully the car has a history folder packed with receipts and invoices.

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Spelling. (see edit history)

It's not a true GTE if that matters to you at all? Not sure how that will show on any resale value.

Yeah that doesn't bother me too much that it isn't the original that's in, with it being an Aero and already had a TT dropped in, is what pulls me in to be fair.

Engine bay needs a bit of work doing to it imo. Mainly cosmetic but that awful intake pipe and cone filter need removing and putting back to stock. I'd also get shot of that radiator and put it back to stock with the fan shroud and top rubber hose.

Yeah the cone filter isn't meant to be good for th engine is it? Least it has some sort of section splitting the engine from the air intake.

And isn't the Whifbitz Rad good? But did notice there was no fan shroud.

As has already been mentioned, these cars are getting old now and parts are becoming an issue in both cost and availability. There is no mention of service history or preventative maintenance being carried out.

For piece of mind i'd give it a thorough service and change all fluids along with the crank shaft pulley too.

- How old are the hybrids, who built them and when?

- What seals were replaced and were they replaced with OEM?

- Are the new coil packs OEM?

- Is the new tensioner OEM or some cheap ebay/Chinese jobbie?

- What parts of the body work could do with some attention?

- Does the aero roof leak?

- What does the underside look like?

Yeah these are all good questions that I can ask him, thanks for your advice mate.

I'm just seeing the price and going love heart eyes I guess. Just want back in a Supra haha

Yeah the cone filter isn't meant to be good for th engine is it? Least it has some sort of section splitting the engine from the air intake

OEM intake is by far the best option for stock and bpu engines, pop in a TRD or K&N panel filter and your good to go. I can't imagine that bit of silver foil is doing much to be honest, the cone will still be drawing nice hot air in from the sealed engine bay.

And isn't the Whifbitz Rad good? But did notice there was no fan shroud

Regarding the ali radiator, again stock is known to be the best option for the car and many run the OEM rad with big BHP cars without any issue. I'm not saying it's bad but it sure won't be as good as stock.

The problem is people get far too hung up on form over function. When an OEM part needs replacing if they can do it cheaper and add a bit of bling in the process that tends to be the option they go for.

I'm just seeing the price and going love heart eyes I guess. Just want back in a Supra haha

I'm not saying the car isn't worth a look :) You just need to let your head rule your heart and not the other way around as it could cost you more than you bargained for ;)

OEM intake is by far the best option for stock and bpu engines, pop in a TRD or K&N panel filter and your good to go. I can't imagine that bit of silver foil is doing much to be honest, the cone will still be drawing nice hot air in from the sealed engine bay.

Yeah I would be on the hunt for the intake box, I'm sure that's what I just done with my old one with a good panel filter and jobs a good un'

Regarding the ali radiator, again stock is known to be the best option for the car and many run the OEM rad with big BHP cars without any issue. I'm not saying it's bad but it sure won't be as good as stock.

The problem is people get far too hung up on form over function. When an OEM part needs replacing if they can do it cheaper and add a bit of bling in the process that tends to be the option they go for.

I never knew that for the rad, least I know things to replace if I get it

I'm not saying the car isn't worth a look :) You just need to let your head rule your heart and not the other way around as it could cost you more than you bargained for ;)

Very true, would hate for it to turn into a nightmare I guess ;)