The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help with brakes...

Jam127

I have a couple of issues with my brakes...

I bought discs and pads for the front and rear as mine were a bit low.. my front offside was giving off quite a bit of brake dust and i had slight vibration at higher speeds when on the pedal. I changed the discs and pads yesterday and when i had the wheel off the ground i spun it to see how it would spin.. it spun well for most of the turn but then came to a stop and was difficult to turn for about 25% of the rotation. This was happening before hence why i got new ones thinking it was a warped disc.. i noticed 1 of the 4 pistons was a bit stiff so i worked it in & out to free it up a bit and seemed to work to an extent. Would this cause these warped like disc symptoms?

I havent done the rear yet but the pad looks as if its only working on roughly half of the disc (the inside and outerside on the face look like the pad isnt in contact with it so a bit surface rust showing) on the offside again. I dont have a clue when the brakes were last overhauled, would it be a good idea to get these looked at before i ruin my new discs & pads? I know basics about brakes but wouldnt go pulling them apart without any guidance. I dont know what the discs are like on the inside face

Jamie

I think Chris Wilson offers a refurb service on UK calipers.

I would remove the caliper then try turning the disc by hand feeling and listening for anything but smooth and quiet operation on the wheel bearing but it sounds like a very well seized piston.

The UK calipers I am selling there is one slightly seized piston but you really couldn't tell when driving the car or rotating the wheel when jacked up, which side caliper is it?

Cheers mark! You any idea on the prices he charges for the service? Its the drivers side both front & rear. As i say i havent done the rear yet so will update when i get an hour or so to do them.

Thankyou mr allan, whats the reason this would give off a warped disc like syptom?

Yep. Sounds like stuck pistons to me. I fully refurbed my UK front and rears in the last year. I can see if I have any spare seals etc you can use when back. To be fair though they're cheap enough from Chris Wilson.

Also you may need new pistons and he offers a made to order stainless steel set so no more putting of chrome etc.

Thanks sheefa, keep me updated on what you have. Im going to remove the disc again and thoroughly clean in and around the disc area including the hub carrier face as tbh i didnt really pay attention to this when changing discs over. Il also go get the discs skimmed to eliminate that possibility. If no luck after that i will be then asking about for prices on refurbing all of my calipers :)

Thanks guys!