The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2 problems I can't fix

bayside_supra

Hi guys

I have 2 issues that no mechanics can seem to fix on my car, I've spent a fair amount of money so far and have no improvement on either issue so I'm hoping you can help.

First is spongy brakes. The pedal has always been soft since I bought the car, you sort of lose half the pedal before they bite. They do stop the car fine, just pedal feels rubbish. I have uk brakes with brand new oem discs, CW pads, Goodridge braided lines. So far I have tried the new discs and pads, new fluid, recently a brand new master cylinder (really pricey). Nothing has worked! What else is there to do?

Next is no a/c, no joke in this weather lol. The air con does not kick in at all. The diagnostic test flashes with abnormal pressure. So far I have replaced the air con rad, the air con pump, had it regassed and there is no leaks. All fuses are ok, not sure what to do?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers

Karl

UK brakes are spongy compared to big brake kits or modern cars I'm afraid. You could try a master cylinder stopper which may help a little but unfortunately it's unlikely you'll get the firm pedal pressure you're after.

/QUOTE]

Yep, as Sheefa says, that's just the way they feel. I fitted a master cylinder stopper years ago and didn't notice any difference really. Over the years the best brake parts combination I've found for the UK brake setup is:

Goodridge braided brake lines

Motul RBF 600 brake fluid

Porterfield R4 Race Compound brake pads

You will still have the spongy feel, and because they are race pads you will have less braking from cold, but once some heat is in them and you need to go for the peddle hard, jesus they do stop! :thumbs:

As far as UK brakes go, mine are very hard as far as feel goes. And this is with standard rubber lines.

They are hard regardless of which pads I have in (my CW race endurance pads or endless street/track pads). The biggest difference I felt was when I switched the fluid to Castrol React SRF. Must be changed once per year and is pricey but best fluid I have ever come across.

Brakes servo ok? I had a spongy feel on my ls400 fronts after bleeding with the vac line bottle method. Turned out that I pumped the pedal way too hard and it kept sucking air from the bleeder nipple. I just gave it two slow pumps and let gravity pull the fluid through. nipped it up and now they're quite firm.

Brakes servo ok? I had a spongy feel on my ls400 fronts after bleeding with the vac line bottle method. Turned out that I pumped the pedal way too hard and it kept sucking air from the bleeder nipple. I just gave it two slow pumps and let gravity pull the fluid through. nipped it up and now they're quite firm.

Pumping the pedal ?

Thanks for all the replies. Yes the car has abs. Darren at Whifbitz concurred that my brakes don't feel how they should. I think I will try another servo but hopefully I can borrow one from them before I fork out for it. I got a pm from David P saying to try removing the anti squeal shims, has anyone had success trying this?

I will see if the expansion valve is at fault for the air con. What do you mean by wire in a temp switch evinX?

Well originally the contacts on the heater control boards burnt out and the ac button didnt work. The previous owner wired a 2 point switch with one wire going to the fusebox's ac fuse and the other end earthed that used to get my pump working. But my dad opened up the heater unit, found burnt contacts and bridged them with wire. Possibly why yours isnt kicking in?