The mkiv Supra Owners Club

polish or wax?

samm

Here's one for the detailers/valeters what's the difference between wax and polish,the last time I clay barred my car I then polished it and then used a gloss protector,I'm about to clay bar it again soon so should I polish or wax it afterwards?

You should clay a car to remove the dirt and grime, then polish it to make it shiny and use the wax to protect it. Atleast that's what I've always thought

/QUOTE]

That makes sense Joe, I want to clay bar my GT86 as I'm hoping that will help remove tar spots, which stand out like a sore thumb on white paint. Then polish and seal it with wax.

polish/sealant first , then wax if you want, ive got customers who dont want wax , so sometimes ill do two coats of polish , getting it clean first depends on whats on there and to what extent is needed to get it shifted safely .

samm hows it going mate

ive had a newish product for a while , you guys that have foam lances might like this , after washing this goes on like snowfoam , but its a wax , absolutely brilliant product and durability is not far off a wax in a fraction of the time .

Edited by peter richards (see edit history)

ill see if i can get a gb on it , just depends on quantity it was designed for winter waxing as its impossible to wax in the winter , but its so good most of the time now ill use it instead of conventional methods as stated above , due to the fact the results are pretty much the same less an hour and a half of arm ache

polish/sealant first , then wax if you want, ive got customers who dont want wax , so sometimes ill do two coats of polish , getting it clean first depends on whats on there and to what extent is needed to get it shifted safely .

samm hows it going mate

ive had a newish product for a while , you guys that have foam lances might like this , after washing this goes on like snowfoam , but its a wax , absolutely brilliant product and durability is not far off a wax in a fraction of the time .

Hi Peter

I am up for some of that spray on wax to be used like snow foam please pm me price and payment details (I love car cleaning products!)

Thanks

Mark

ok mark ill contact my supplier see what we can come up with

Ok cool on the subject of polishing/waxing I have just done my mkiii supra tonight using autoglyms perfectionist finish (it's liquid and smells like parafin) it always gives amazing results but the car never sees rain so it never needs clay barring or polishing I find it much easier to use than dodo juice wax or the detainers spray finishes as it goes all over just would like your thoughts and what is it exactly?

All I can say it's more wax based than a polish as it has no cutting agent like a polish.

You should clay a car to remove the dirt and grime, then polish it to make it shiny and use the wax to protect it. Atleast that's what I've always thought

/QUOTE]

Usually claying will make marks on the paint even though you use lubricant. So I would only clay the car if you are going to buff it with a polisher after.

the idea of claying is to get rid of any contaminates on the paint ,this leaves the surface smooth so when you then follow up with the machine the polisher doesnt hop or jump about from the pad griping the rough surface. you see a lot of beginners complaining they cant control the machine especially if it a rotary ,and the main reason is what you said they skipped the claying stage thinking the machine polishing will be ok

Ok cool on the subject of polishing/waxing I have just done my mkiii supra tonight using autoglyms perfectionist finish (it's liquid and smells like parafin) it always gives amazing results but the car never sees rain so it never needs clay barring or polishing I find it much easier to use than dodo juice wax or the detainers spray finishes as it goes all over just would like your thoughts and what is it exactly?

All I can say it's more wax based than a polish as it has no cutting agent like a polish.

if your happy with the results your getting from the process you are using , then thats great stick with it

Autoglym Aqua Wax is one of the best products I've used. Can be used without drying the car which is a real bonus and great results. Similar to a detailing spray after washing.

As others have said, a polish cleans the surface to make it smooth but it doesn't protect from the weather etc.