The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Code 42 fix

Bender

Can anybody help me as i just had enough. I know about code 42 was lots of threads but belive me or not im pretty sure i read all of them. So facts are EML and triangle comes on around 50mph/80kmh sometimes will come off (long journeys) sometimes didnt come at all... Speedo and odo still reads in km no conventer or delimiter was fitted. I done "code 42 fix" (connect pink wire with blue/black) reset ecu still the same. I had that problem almost 2 years now car drives perfectly fine its just soo anoying and i really like have everything intact. Forgot to add my car is a Supra SZ manual (so its not active spoiler either). Can anybody help me ? Any ideas maybe speed sensor or you can recomend somebody fairly close to me (Hereford) who got some spare time and can have a look at it and fix it ? Thanks

Wysłane z mojego SM-G950F przy użyciu Tapatalka

In my case triangle always come with EML light. I was thinking about speed sensor but after days of research looks like its not speed sensor fault even if code 42 says faulty speed sensor 😑

If yours is a pre-facelift I cured mine after doing some research on here.

Need to rewire the back of the odometer as per the below picture:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q298/zayfman/ODflashinglightmod2.jpg

I clicked on the link and saw photos of a bikini competition. That's made my morning :) (Also got photos of your family on there - you might want to adjust your prviacy settings, and/or just link to the photo you intended).

To the OP: is Chris Wilson anywhere near you? I think this will need investigation with an oscilloscope. It's rare that the speed sensor itself is faulty, but not impossible.

One thing you could try: check you have electrical continuity between pin 6 of the odo and pin 2 of the ECU (see diagram - ignore the speed converter bits, I know you don't have one fitted).

dsc_speedo_mph.jpg

I clicked on the link and saw photos of a bikini competition. That's made my morning :) (Also got photos of your family on there - you might want to adjust your prviacy settings, and/or just link to the photo you intended).

To the OP: is Chris Wilson anywhere near you? I think this will need investigation with an oscilloscope. It's rare that the speed sensor itself is faulty, but not impossible.

One thing you could try: check you have electrical continuity between pin 6 of the odo and pin 2 of the ECU (see diagram - ignore the speed converter bits, I know you don't have one fitted).

Image belongs to someone else it's not my account, I took it from an old thread on here. Unfortunately I have never witnessed a bikini competition :(

I also find out that new odometer should solve the problem are they expensive from Toyota ? Or maybe sonebody had a spare good one which i can borrow for couple of days and check if it helps will pay poatage costs etc

• 2 months later...
Just a quick update.

I done rewiring but it didnt change anything i also bought second hand odometer and still the same. Its so annoying problem. Please can anybody had any other odeas ???

If your odometer counts up properly as you're driving along, then I would take a look at the ECU in the passenger footwell. Have a look at the wiring diagram in post #8, identify pin 2 on the ECU, and check the wire is in there properly. Check the continuity of the wire from odo pin 6 to ECU pin 2.

If your odometer counts up properly as you're driving along, then I would take a look at the ECU in the passenger footwell. Have a look at the wiring diagram in post #8, identify pin 2 on the ECU, and check the wire is in there properly. Check the continuity of the wire from odo pin 6 to ECU pin 2.
Im not 100% sure its that odo good or not showing 999999 miles and dont move trip a and b counting (see pic) where's exactly that ecu is ?image

The ECU is accessed from inside the car. Pull back the carpet from the passenger footwell at the end nearest the engine, there should be a hard cover underneath the carpet, undo the cover and you should see the ECU.

The odo reading 999999 is suspicious. Someone's fiddled with it on a bench, or it's knackered, or both. I would concentrate on getting an odo working (counting up) in your car before looking at the ECU.

How have you connected the wires up bullet connectors or solderd I had this issue early this year I did the pink and blue wire trick but it didn't work the first time as I hadn't joined the wires together correctly tried again and bingo all sorted and haven't had an issue since.

Too be honest i join them together with a tape as im shit at soldering. Maybe it will be good idea to go see some local magican to do proper soldering for me.

Thanks Steve for all your tips i guess i will put my old odo back at least it is working as it should

Too be honest i join them together with a tape as im $#@! at soldering.

That could be the source of some of your issues. Although you no doubt had an issue before you took the odo out, joining with tape won't help you fix it. If you really can't solder, you can use Scotchlok connectors - they're horrible things that have a habit of causing electrical gremlins after some time has passed, but it's better than taping the wires together.

• 3 weeks later...