The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Differential oil seals

tintinmt

This is for my 93 N/A auto.

There are various leaks on the diff that obviously require the replacement of seals.

From what I can see there are three separate leaks.

One inner and one outer drive shaft and something from the main body of the diff.

Should I plan to make the individual repairs, or take the diff out and refurbish with all new seals and gaiters?

I don't drive the car as a daily and the fact that it looks untidy doesn't massively trouble me.

Diff 1 OS Outer resize.jpg

Diff 3 Centre resize.jpg

The first pic is 'just' grease from the driveshaft cv joint and a suspension arm ball joint.

The second pic looks like an old diff oil leak, and grease from the drive shaft join. Perhaps consider getting a pair of used driveshafts and replace them at some point. Where you generally just having a look underneath or investigating a noise/issue?

Thanks Scooter. I've been aware that these 'leaks' are there since I've owned the car. As far as I know they are not causing any particular problems. Fixing them has just come to the top of my list that's all. I would certainly be less concerned if I thought the diff was not losing oil significantly.

On the side of the diff is a female hex bolt, if you clean it up with a wire brush and then use the correct Allen key socket you should be able to undo it. The diff oil should be level with this ie on the level a tiny bit of oil might come out. If none does then you can add a bit to see how low it is/was, this should help to prove the leak is diff oil and oil not just grease from the drive shaft joints (it's not 100% clear to me from the pics)

Also if you find the level is fine or only very slightly down (and you found it easy to refill), then might as well get 2l's of diff oil and undo the same type of bolt right on the bottom of the diff and drain out the old and replace with the new.

If the side seals on the diff are leaking significantly an open diff replacement is likely to be the best/cheapest idea for a fix (provided you current diff is an open one)