The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is my alternator dead?

JamesArup

Hey guys,

I've been living abroad for quite some time now, and the Supra sits under weatherproof covers for most of the year. When I come back, I drive it as much as possible, and 90% of the time it works like a dream ... until today.

I drove it about 40 minutes this morning to our UK office, and left it parked all day. When I left the office, it started perfectly and everything was working fine. After about 10 minutes, a bunch of lights came on on the little warning light panel next to the hazard-warning light switch. It was a battery icon, the overheating engine icon, and the icon that looks like the rear lights of the car are flashing (not sure what that's for).

I figured that it was some kind of strange electrical glitch, as the water temp was fine, oil pressure was fine, and the car was running fine.

About 10 minutes later, the car started to get a bit "lumpy", as if it was suddenly only firing on 5 cylinders. It's done that before, so I thought I would just check the plugs for standing water once I got home. I never made it home. About 5 minutes later, all the lights came on, and the engine just cut-out on me, leaving me stranded at the entrance to a roundabout. Initially, trying the start the car just resulted in the rapid clicking noise you usually get when the battery is completely dead. After letting it rest for a few minutes, the engine turned over, but still didn't start.

Luckily I was about 5 minutes away from my parents house, so my Dad came out to try and give me a jump start. It started immediately, with no issues at all. I raced home (with all of the warning lights still on), and managed to get there before it died again.

The battery is pretty much new, so it seems like it used all of it's energy getting me to work, and halfway home again, before it died.

Does this sound like a dead alternator? If so, what's it take to get a new one? As far as I am aware it's still the original alternator on the car (1995 RZ-S, big single), so I wouldn't be surprised if it finally gave up the ghost.

Cheers!

Yeah .. checked the battery yesterday, and it was fine! Checked it today after I crawled home, and it's flat as a pancake!

It doesn't seem to be getting a charge at all from what I can see. It's just draining itself and giving up! Pretty sure that it must be the alternator.

That's one job I've never done before ... how hard/easy is it to change the alternator on a Supra? And do I just use an OEM one, or do people have good alternative/upgraded solutions?

Thanks for the help,

Cheers!

I've a new replacement alternator here with no more than two hours on it if, you want to save some dough on a brand new unit.

I'd need a pic of the three pin socket on your own alternator or the corresponding loom plug, to ensure mine is a match.

Oh nice, thanks man. I'll need to go and take a look tomorrow and get some pics for you. I am only in the country for a few days, but I've left the car with my folks, so my Dad can co-ordinate anything if needed. I assume I can get to the loom plug without having to take anything out? If I need to get under the car, or anything like that, then it might take a bit longer!

Thanks again,

Cheers

You may struggle to get access without removing the airbox mate, if you have one that is. I can't really remember as mine was heavily altered by the time the original alternator gave up the ghost.

For what it's worth, my loom plug and alternator socket is the round type. I'm not sure what the stock TT plug and socket configuration is. My car was an NA, converted to 1jz.

Perhaps someone with first hand experience of the TT configuration could shed some light on the matter.

Nah .. no airbox on mine! Just a big filter strapped to an even bigger turbo :D.

The alternator is pretty clearly visible down below various pipes and hoses, so I'll see if I can take a look down there tomorrow and find this socket.

Is there a "How To" guide anywhere for how to get the thing out? I've had a hunt around, but can't seem to find anything particularly clear.

Thanks again,

Cheers

Is there a "How To" guide anywhere for how to get the thing out? I've had a hunt around, but can't seem to find anything particularly clear.

For the alternator itself?

If you can change the serpentine belt without getting into difficulty then you are halfway there already!

First thing is to disconnect the battery.

Remove the alternator/cooling fan (serpentine) drive belt by holding the tensioner pulley nut with the correct socket & bar and applying pressure in a clock-wise (looking at the front of the engine) direction. This lifts the tensioner pulley off the belt, relieving the belt tension, and allowing you to slip the belt off another pulley. After that the heavy current (battery) lead and the control wires to the alternator need to be undone. The control wires are all contained in the three pin plug, which pulls out once the locking tab has been pressed firmly enough to escape the socket. Wiggle the socket to release it, don't pull the wires if at all possible or you'll be repairing those too. The heavy current lead is held in place by a 6mm nut. Use a 10mm socket or spanner to undo.

There are only two fasteners holding the alternator to the engine after that.

Great, thanks very much!

Going to bust out of work early today and take a look once I get home. Is your spare alternator a standard one? I'm wondering whether it might make more sense to get an uprated one, as I am running quite a lot of electronics, ECU, audio system etc (and 500+ bhp :D).. so maybe something a bit heftier than the OEM one would work better. I've gone through loads of batteries in the past few years, so maybe it was just an indication of the alternator slowly dying on me!

Thanks again though, I'll let you know how I get on (if my Dad hasn't ripped it to bits already, as he can't resist a good engine-related project!)

Cheers

Mine would be standard output at best mate. And I do believe that the NA appropriate alternator, as my replacement might very well be, has a smaller output than the TT unit, so do NOT buy something that will only cause more trouble or possibly even harm.

There, another potential sale scuttled by yours truly! :D

Thanks guys,

Well ... you know what I said about my Dad in my previous response? It happened! Just came home to find the bonnet up and the alternator missing. He managed to get it out and took it to a local parts shop. They will have a new OEM one arriving tomorrow. I was already looking at the SRD ones, but I guess that plan is out of the window now.

Still .. he's got it all sorted, which hopefully means I can enjoy the car for a few days before I have to leave the country again!

Thanks again for the help,

Cheers