The mkiv Supra Owners Club

engine management light

kevin smith

Since i have owned my car the engine management light and the big warning light in the middle of the clock/ handbrake light, have been coming on at high rev and over 80mph. After reading a few threads most seem to say it could be a dodgy speed converter, i have used to different converters but it still happens.

Can someone recommend a good speed converter i could try.

Many thanks.

PS it is not the brake fluid.

Read off the error codes using the paperclip method on the diagnostics port, but it's likely to be code 42. Easy to do, and everything else is speculation until you get the code(s).

It's also highly likely to be triggered at 80 kph (50 mph), not 80mph. This is an important detail here, because if your speedo is reading 80mph when you're actually driving at 50mph, it suggests your speed converter is doing nothing. Does your odometer count up as it should?

Other related things can cause code 42 error - faulty odometer circuit for example. If you want to eliminate other causes, remove the speed converter, rejoin the original wires together to return the wiring to stock, and re-test.

The TRL speed converters had a good reputation, but I don't think they're made any more. I'd ask someone like Whifbitz (http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk) what they recommend.

Hi my speedo is definitely correct as it reads the same speed as my tom tom, the odometer counts as it should as i work out what i am getting to the litre, and the warning light comes on at 81mph, i will try the paper clip test to see what code comes up. And i will remove the converter and try it that way aswell. But it's just my luck to get a problem that is always different to everyone else lol.

Thank you Steve P i will post the out come of the tests.

Hi i have just been reading muckyman's thread and it seems he has a similar problem, and an another member has suggested changing the dial covers to leave it as KPH, so i will ditch the speed converter and put it back to KPH, and get the dials from metalmonkey so it will read in MPH. I wish i had known this a long time ago and saved some money on speed converters, i will still check error codes anyway.

Many thanks. I will post again to let you know how i get on.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi i have just been reading muckyman's thread and it seems he has a similar problem, and an another member has suggested changing the dial covers to leave it as KPH, so i will ditch the speed converter and put it back to KPH, and get the dials from metalmonkey so it will read in MPH. I wish i had known this a long time ago and saved some money on speed converters, i will still check error codes anyway.

Many thanks. I will post again to let you know how i get on.

Don't think my issues are the same as yours as my speedo converter isn't fitted yet.

Do let us know if you get it resolved though...